The School


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
March 27th 2014
Published: March 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

David & Debbie WoodroofDavid & Debbie WoodroofDavid & Debbie Woodroof

Directors of Avanti Italia School
Avanti Italia

La Scuola Biblica di Firenze

We have been at the school for almost 6 weeks. Now that it is time to leave it dawns on me you might be interested in knowing more about the school here and it’s ministry.

La Scuola Biblica di Firenze, the school, was opened in the 1950’s. Its original mission was to teach bible to Italian college students and instill in them a desire to serve the Lord’s church in Italy. In the mid 1980’s the focus of the work shifted to what has been described as a Relationship Ministry. The program is designed for American college graduates to commit 2 years to come to Italy and work in the community. They are responsible for raising all their support to travel and live in Italy for those two years.

The goal of the Relationship Ministry is self-explanatory. They strive to create relationships with those they come in contact to share the good news of Jesus Christ by example and teaching. This effort takes many different forms. For example, the school hosts a dinner and bible study every Monday night; it holds movie nights; it offers to teach English classes to groups or to individuals; it works with individuals on conversational and/or reading skills in English; it offers English classes at the church building on Thursdays; it sponsors a “Visitation Thursday” where they go visit a person who needs visiting either in or outside the church. “Physical Friday” is a time where they do some physical work for the church, the school or someone in need. During the summer time the English classes are halted and they participate in Youth Retreats, Christian camps, VBSes and in hosting University programs at the school. In 2013, 35 young Italians attended a 3-day Youth Retreat in Florence at the Bible School. The school also cooperates with the Harding University Florence(HUF) program and they cooperate with some Catholic nuns on Sunday evenings to feed the homeless here in Florence. And, as you would expect the workers at the school make personal friends which expands their circle of influence.

Well, there is more but I think you get the idea. It’s a good program and one where 60-80 people a week are reading and discussing the bible.

We feel privileged to be a small part of this program and it is a wonderful experience for us. More later on our last weekend. .....Mike

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb