A Scandicci Weekend


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
March 8th 2014
Published: March 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Suzanne & BethSuzanne & BethSuzanne & Beth

LST Teachers
It’s been a relaxing weekend here in Scandicci. On Friday Suzanne and Beth, the two ladies teaching Let’s Start Talking (LST) returned home. For two weeks they left the school about 9am, traveled to the church building in Florence, about an hour bus ride away, met with their students and returned to the school around 7:30pm each evening. Long busy days. LST is designed so that student information is left with the Avanti Italia for us to follow-up. One of their students has already started to come to the Thursday bible study at church.

Friday night David set-up the projector and we watched a movie called Uncle Nino. It is an Italian/American family story. Very appropriate don’t you think. It was a pleasant feel-good movie and we all enjoyed seeing it. Saturday morning I went shopping with David. He was looking for some items for the church. Florence looks surprisingly like any other large city. I’m told Florence has a population around 600,000. We visited a store that looked like a Best Buy, a small hardware store where we actually got waited on when we entered, and a mall that looked like those back home. Yes, we also
Team 2Team 2Team 2

Retta, Peggy, Ann, Me, L.V.
had the traffic and crowds. In the afternoon Ann and I walked to the Saturday market in Scandicci for a look around and stopped for lunch on the way home. The evening was reading and relaxing.

Sunday it was up and off to church at 9am. We stopped for a coffee and pastry before church. We started singing at 10:30am and the sermon finished at noon. Then there was 15 minutes of announcements and we dismissed. I enjoyed every minute of it. Today the young people from Harding University in Florence (HUF) and Freed-Hardman were in church with us. It filled up the building and the singing sounded great. The singing was crafted by Robbie, the Director at HUF, so that we sang the verses of the songs in the two different languages. To me I felt we all sang the same song together because there was no break to change languages. The tune was the same so we all just kept singing. The sermon was a good one and we had “whisper” units to wear. (Whisper units are a set of headphones and small receiver that you can hear the translator speaking but it doesn’t interrupt the speaker)
DevotionalDevotionalDevotional

HUF students at devotional at Avanti Italia
Very nice. The speaker was good and it is refreshing to hear a different perspective on familiar scriptures. For example, we studied Luke 14:16ff and the focus was on the banquet, party, and how we can choose which party to go to not who or why invitations were declined. Tonight the HUF students, about 40 in number, were invited to the School for dinner, a devotional and games. Talk about energy in a room. They are a great bunch of young adults and it was fun having them here.

As you know Ann and I are part of a five person team, called Team 2, working at the School. Here are our teammates. I’ll also be sending along pictures later of the young people who are here at Avanti working with the school. Tomorrow it’s back to teaching and for me researching the topic of sacraments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Time To EatTime To Eat
Time To Eat

HUF students at Avanti Italia
Scandicci MarketScandicci Market
Scandicci Market

Fresh Artichokes


Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb