First trip to Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 9th 2013
Published: May 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We had a leisurely start to the day with breakfast in the shady courtyard. Temperature rose throughout the day to 26 so water and rests were required.

We headed off with our trusty guide books and maps and the Firenze cards Jim had bought online. It was a very popular venue today with loads of groups of young teenagers here and there! Quite a few Americans around as well but we coped.

So we came to Sante Croce piazza and it was brimming with street sellers and guess who fell for the gift of an elephant ornament and then another and 5 Euros later the street seller finally moved on. I got stronger through the day with the shaking of my head and definite No! Jim got it in one but then he had years of training in Abudhabi. We had a browse around the market always so colourful with fresh veg and fruit salami and ham.

So Jim headed off to get the tickets sorted and I sat in the sun having forgotten the sun cream as you do! Yes we have returned this evening with red faces and arms but not too bad thank goodness.

Santa Croce is a Gothic church containing the tombs of many famous Florentines such as Michelangelo and Galileo. Machiavelli was also buried there. The religious paintings and sculpture are so lovely and there are cloisters to linger and sit peacefully. We were pretty shattered and looked for a Gelatti. I am loving the plain frozen yoghurt while Jim is sampling everything from lime to vanilla. Yummy.

We then tried to get into the Palazzo Vecchio which serves as the main council offices. It was surrounded by Polizie and security guards and there were vans with satellite dishes so we wondered what was going on. Apparently some VIPs were gathered there. It is a risky business in Italy trying to cross a road never mind driving and we watched while the sirens wailed and bikes flew in front of the big vehicles carrying the VIPs. there

We ended up in the Galileo Museum and it was really interesting - all the early scientific equipment used to measure distance time and temperature - worth seeing!

Finally we strolled to the Ponte Vecchio, the oldest bridge across the River Arno. Busy with tourists and most of the shops are jewellers with gold glittering in every window. We didn't linger as have just recently acquired a piece of gold jewellery myself.

So an early night and up to head back into Florence tomorrow for more art and architecture.

Love Helen and Jim. x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.027s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb