The Explosion of the cart in Florence on Easter Sunday morning


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 7th 2012
Published: April 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tomorrow I intend to attend the traditional Explosion of the cart in Piazza Duomo, a folk tradition dating back to the first Crusade.

In 1099 the Florentine Pazzino de' Pazzi was the first man to climb up the walls of Jerusalem. He took back to Florence three flints from the Holy Sepulcher. These flints were used to light the torches carried around the city bringing to all Florence citizens on Easter.

At the end of 15th century the three flints were used to light a large Easter candle that was later trasnformed into a cart, called Brindellone from locals. It is about 9 meters tall and is hauled by four white oxes. The cart is loaded with fireworks and goes around the city departing from Porta al Prato to Piazza Duomo.



At the same time in the Church of Santissimi Apostoli the three flints lights the holy fire that is carried in procession to the Duomo by city officials, clerics and Pazzi family members. At 11 0′clock Florence cardinal lights, mechanical dove, called colombina, that speeds through the church to ignite the Brindellone cart.

The fireworks starts lighiting and making lots of noise. The colombina should now go back into the Duomo. If it does go back the harvest will be good, but if it doesn’t the harvest will be bad. This is the most suggestive moment and you have to cross your finger while waiting the result.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb