Day 37 Lucca and Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 8th 2011
Published: June 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After the 5th person we spoke to told us we must see Lucca, we decided to take the advice, a day trip from our current campsite in Troghi (south of Florence). We were really pleased we did, it was lovely. A uniquely walled town, different to the others we had seen because you can walk or cycle around the wall, to one side seeing the town, the other evidence of fortifications, mainly grassed over. We decided it was also a ‘people place’ as there were lots of green park areas, and the town is mainly pedestrianised. This made a pleasant change to dodging the mad Ferraris in the other cities and towns we had visited. There were also less people... not sure why. Of particular interest was a circular Piazza del’Anfiteatro, a complete circle of buildings. This could have been very showy, but it seamed quite real, a mixture of shops, pizzerias and apartments. The whole town had that nice ‘lived in’ feel about it. One of the medieval towers had oak trees growing in the top!

Neither Kim or I had a particular yearn to see Pisa, but it was so close to Lucca, we felt obliged to see the iconic tower. Again we were so pleased we did. Firstly the tower, and the two other buildings, a cathedral and domed theatre are beautiful. Secondly we had great fun both taking the pictures and watching the other tourists take theirs!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb