Day 38: Cinque Terra to Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 11th 2011
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rising early we decided to head straight to Florence via Pisa, a drive of around 150kms and having had enough of the narrow roads for a while we decided to use the Autostrade to Pisa at least, again very mountainous country and an uneventful drive. Finding parking in Pisa we headed off to the tower for the usual photos, great to see but not overly awe inspiring. Heading off to Florence early as Pam had to work for a while we found our camp ground with little trouble. I must take a moment out now to explain a few things about driving in cities in Italy, ANYTHING GOES, MIGHT IS RIGHT, INDICATORS ARE FOR WIMPS AND SCOOTERS THINK THEY HAVE RIGHT OF WAY. Oh by the way a pedestrian crossing only makes you a target, they have no respect at all for them, you may as well cross the road off the crossing for all the good it does. The Italians are completely insane when they drive, they have no respect for themselves or others on the road, they must think they have 9 lives. Example: You pull up to the entry to a large roundabout say 3 lanes wide, there are no lane markings, you wait patiently for a gap in the traffic aiming for the 3rd exit, next minuet there are 6 or 7 scooters along side, swerving in front of you and ducking everywhere, three cars overtake you on both sides and all this before you get to your exit, they are mental. But you know the funny thing, we have not seen one accident at all, not even a fender bender, amazing really, it’s a crazy system but it seems to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb