Still in Tuscany - heading North


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 16th 2011
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

11 April onwards, travelled to Assisi and Cortona (where Under the Tuscan Sun movie was made). Saint Francis' church is huge and his tomb is below the church (looks like it is a stone carcophagas(?)).
Warm, beautiful day (bella!!) with clear blue skies - had a great time walking around the town - very hilly as usual for this area.

From Assisi we went to San Gimignano, the hill town known for its' towers, the height of which were apparently a symbol of your status in the community. The church of St. Bartolo dates from 1153 but there have been many additions and changes to the town since then. As per usual the views from the town walls over the valleys below are superb.

After San Gimignano we visited a tiny hillside town called Monteriggioni and loved it. No crowds, only a few shops, no
spruikers and only one hotel - might go back one day for some timeout from the hustle & bustle of the major tourist attractions which get really crowded.

We then hit the road and arrived in Florence at lunchtime, ditched the car, checked in to hotel and jumped a train to Pisa. Not much more than the tower to see in Pisa so went for a look, some of us climbed the tower whilst others sat in the lunchtime restaurant imbibing several beers. Managed to get LOTS of the mandatory hands holding up the tower pictures but have not bored you with any of these.

Had a full days shopping and touring around Florence (Firenze) which made the girls happy to get a little retail therapy in to the tour. Probably could have done another full day but no luggage space left :-))

Florence was the last day for the whole group together so had a slap-up dinner (as per usual) and then hit the bar in the hotel for a night cap. Many hugs & kisses before bed time as the rest of the group have a 8:00am flight to London 2morrow and we are NOT getting up to wave them good-bye at 5:00 am. - had a nice sleep-in with no timetable to keep

Saturday 16April - Gail & I caught train from Firenze to La Spezia and walked the town and relaxed for the afternoon over a bottle of wine. 2morrow we will go to Cinque Terra and visit the 5 towns.

Unfortunately only the first part of the trail from Riomaggiore to Manarola is open until next week (VERY dissappointing). Notheless we will go there 2morrow, do the first walk and then train to the other towns. Will probably check out the ferry from Vernazza to Porto Venere which is supposed to provide great views of the towns.
Will most likely find a restaurant for lunch or dinner whilst there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

More celebrity headsMore celebrity heads
More celebrity heads

Sorry for publishing this one Julie :-))
The bride & groomThe bride & groom
The bride & groom

They do it diffently here and no room for a stretch Hummer in these streets!
The Ice Cream shop in San GimmyThe Ice Cream shop in San Gimmy
The Ice Cream shop in San Gimmy

Same shop we visitied last time 2 years ago.


17th April 2011
Climbing the tower of Pisa - a bit narrow.

No way
There is no way I would ever be able to do that climb!!! WAY TOO SMALL!
19th April 2011

Florence
Did you go to the park just outside the main square and sit next to the river? I think that it's the "Po". At the atm in that suare is where LIndsay's card got eaten. Have you worked out about the coffee yet? If you sit down it cost you much more, that's why everyone stands up! Looks like you're having an excellent time. Take it easy! Mick

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb