The Roads Less Traveled Thru Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
August 30th 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our way to Firenze August 22, 2009 - Florence, Italy

We left the heat and the smells of Venice and headed off on the small roads to Florence “Firenze”. The drive could have been through Illinois or Iowa with flat farmland and industrial buildings surrounding us. As we went through tunnel after tunnel, each valley after got hillier and hillier. One tunnel opened to this expansive view of Florence. It was like that “ah-ha” moment when you enter Las Vegas at night from the dark, desolate desert into the city of lights. Our campground was in a very high hilltop town about 5km outside of Florence overlooking the city. The town Fiesole is very small with tiny roads only one car can fit on at a time. We saw the signs to the campground and kept climbing higher and higher. At the top was Camping Firenze with the absolute best views of Florence. We parked, opened up our back doors which exposed our camper bedroom to a great view of Il Duomo.

The campground had a pool that overlooked the city as well - so we suited up and headed to the crowded pool. We claimed a shady area and watched all of the bronze Italians in their bikinis baking in the sun. They must open the pool and restaurant up to the locals as they seemed to be from the area and must come here often for relief from the heat. This is where I felt my whitest! Everyone had leathery, dark skin and wore tiny bikini’s and speedos, no matter what their body type. It was very hot and sticky and still they laid directly in the sun, smoking cigarettes and baking. I would have skin cancer in one day if I did this. I have never felt so pale in my life. My milky white skin was also covered with mosquito bites. Big red welts on my tender white skin - very atractive. I apologized to Andrew for not being able to tan but reminded him of how great my skin would look when I am in my 50’s.

We took a bus down the hill to Fiesole for “aperitifs” or cocktails and dinner at The Blue Bar, a quaint little place with sunset views over Florence. It had a beautiful ambiance and the wine was great but the views from our camper-van where better. We met a couple from LA and listened to a guitarist warming up for later while we had the best white wine. We had to pinch ourselves to really believe we were having a bottle of local wine at sunset overlooking the city of Florence. It doesn’t get any better than this. After a few glasses of wine we gingerly hiked the mile straight up to our camp. We left the backdoors open and fell asleep overlooking the lights of Florence. It was a magical evening.


Advertisement



31st August 2009

Hi from us all!!! Girls went wow!!!!! Andrew have you lost some weight? What a fantastic time you are having. Laura off to play netball in sevens tournament today 5 games should keep her out of trouble!!! Jess counting down to her birthday party!!! Scott and I just working!!!!! Catch you soon

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb