Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
August 15th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

15 August 2009

We’ve gone as far south as this journey will take us and have now set course north again. Roman streets are quiet, nigh deserted, and the trip to Florence is very quick.

Florence was the hotbed of the Italian renaissance at various stages the home of Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Galileo and it also became the resting place for many of these great minds. The one person that Florence lost, and always regretted was Dante. Dante was accredited as being the father of the Italian language, being the first to write down the spoken language of the time.

Our arrival into Florence was via the panoramic terrace of the Piazza Michelangelo which overlooks Florence. This was a good lunch stop and photo opportunity.

Our walk through Florence took us past the Duomo and up to the leather markets for a tour of one of the big shops. Despite the smooth sales pitch we resisted the temptation to buy anything.

The other temptation was to look for a cool shady place and relax, it was hot, at least 38 degrees. The order for the afternoon was find a cool bar, eat gelati and drink cold beer.

That was it for us Florence,

Ciao bay,

Al and Tess



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DavidDavid
David

...Not the author


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb