Florence and Italian Passion


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
August 17th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Piazza Vecchio in FlorecePiazza Vecchio in FlorecePiazza Vecchio in Florece

The shadow statue is of Perseus holding up Medusa's severed head. You can see Fake David's tiny head in the lower right corner.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace -- and what did they produce? The Cuckoo Clock.
-Orson Welles

I like this quote because to me sums up the reality of the artistic temperament. In order to produce great art you have to go to the extremes of emotion. You have to be inspired and possess the arrogant belief that your vision is valuable, not just to yourself but to others. That your taste is that of an artist. You must withstand criticism from people like me who just refuse to admit that a dead palm tree on the floor is a work of art. Even if it is to other people. The kind of culture that cultivates great artists is one in which the people look for beauty in the world around them. Contentment and complacency does not lend itself to artistic expression.
Like any important thing in life a work of art requires sacrifice. Time, effort, skill, and money are all basic ingredients in any crafted item. Think of how much work it must have been to chisel a fourteen foot David out of one solid chunk of marble. Imagine even finding the room to work on a 14 foot piece of marble. There are always obstacles in your path; good reasons to stop and claim its not worth the effort. A million reasons why you should do something else, something easier. In this way it is alot like taking a long trip. It is so much easier to stick with your routine and continue doing the same thing everyday than to try to create something better. So much easier to stay home in your comfort zone than to pick up and go.
Michelangelo believed that God put images in stone and a sculptor's job was merely to liberate those images from the surrounding stone. An interesting idea although I wonder if he would think it coincidental that God put Christian images in Italian stones and Buddhist images in Asian stones and Greek Gods in Greek stones or if that would have merely supported his theory.
It seems to me that besides art, the Italians know how to prioritize. Or at least they are willing
Michelangelo's Night and Day sculpturesMichelangelo's Night and Day sculpturesMichelangelo's Night and Day sculptures

In the Medici Chapel. Personally I think Night looks like a man with oranges on his chest. It makes me doubt that Michelangelo ever saw a real woman naked. Not that I am complaining; he knew what kind of beauty was important.
to sacrifice for what they think is important. Like this policy of shutting down their business for a week or two in August. Business owners will close thier place of business for two weeks every summer in order to go on vacation. They sacrifice two weeks of revenue in order to give themselves and their employees a break. I don't know of any other place that does such a thing. Certainly not where I come from. Where I work the only day we shut down is for Christmas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Dusk and Dawn Dusk and Dawn
Dusk and Dawn

From the Medici Chapel. I had to sneak these pictures, but I refused to leave without a picture.
Courtyard of the Buonarti house in FlorenceCourtyard of the Buonarti house in Florence
Courtyard of the Buonarti house in Florence

A former residence of Michelangelo, it contains several sketches and paintings but the artist and his students.
Fake DavidFake David
Fake David

Though I appreciate masculine perfection as much as the next girl, if I were going to fight a vicious giant I would have at least put on pants. But that's just me.
Pont VecchioPont Vecchio
Pont Vecchio

The bridge that has all the silver and goldsmith shops seen from the neighboring bridge.
Italian RooftopsItalian Rooftops
Italian Rooftops

Seen from the window of the Bargello museum
Florence and PisaFlorence and Pisa
Florence and Pisa

This statue represents Florence (the woman) subduing Pisa (the man) and stomping on him. I was amused by Florence representing herself and female.
The best Gelato in the worldThe best Gelato in the world
The best Gelato in the world

Like eating a cold chocolaty cloud.


17th August 2009

Creative Inspiration
I agree with much of what you have said about the environment for artistic inspiration. However, recently before going to China I read two books by Gavin Menzies titled "1421" and "1434." The first presented compeling evidence of Chinese fleets discovering most of the world in 1421. The second presented equallly compeling evidence of a final journey of one fleet to Venice, and then overland to Florence where the Chinese admiral presented 11000 documents containing 4000 years of Chinese knowledge. The author's premise is that this infusion of knowledge started the Renaissance...that Leonardo was just copying Chinese inventions. So maybe Michelangelo's god was Chinese! So much of our history is Eurocentric (and as a female you might add male centric), so it's interesting to get a different spin. You don't have to believe it, but it's a very interesting read...when you are bored on long flights or train rides. My son flies to Rome next Tuesday for his last two years of university...I envy him!
18th August 2009

hi
Jenny, Sounds like you are really enjoying Florence. good for you. Stay safe.
18th August 2009

naked statues in America
Jen, I'm amazed at the number of nude sculptures in the public areas and no conservative groups complaining of indecency or pornography. Another reason to love Italy! Denise
18th August 2009

naked statues
It is amazing although there was the infamous fig leaf campaign that insisted on covering all the naked statues with fig leaves. In the Vatican museum a lot of the statues still have them. The sistine chapel ceiling was painted over by another artist in order to clothe the figures. When they cleaned the painting several years ago the removed most of the clothes so it could go back to its original state, but they did leave some of them on. I saw a picture of David from 1990 and he was wearing the ridiculous fig leaf. Censorship is an insult to art. If an artist intended for a sculpture to be naked then it was for a reason. If someone doesn't like or understand that, fine. But they shouldn't get to decide what is appropriate for other people to see or appreciate. I admit that the idea of David fighting Goliath without any clothes on is kind of silly, but that's what Michelangelo sculpted so that's what I want to see.
20th August 2009

can u...?
can u learn to make gelato while yer over there so you can make us some when u get home? or you can take me over there for some...mmmm very entertaining. enjoyed the comments on david n the lady stomping on the man.

Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb