Day 2- Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 25th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The next day, Christine and I decided to see the inside of the St. Mark's Basilica. And we did. Venice is strict in prohibiting photo taking, so I cannot post any pictures. But the inside of the Basilica is amazing...the entire roof is made of golden mosaics, describing Biblical stories and is really beautiful. Christine proved to be very resourceful...when we arrived, the line to enter the Church was gigantic. We would have to wait several hours before we had a chance to set foot on the doorsteps of the Church. However, from her guidebook, she said that there was an "obscure custom" that can get us in fast. Apparently, if you check your bags (free of charge) at a building beside the Basilica, and show the stub to the guard, we could enter immediately. I was a bit doubtful whether this would work. However, I saw no harm of trying. Miraculously, it worked! We got in the Basilica in a few minutes. I guess this is like some strange rule such as requiring all Pope's guards to be selected from Switzerland with blue eyes and blond hair. No one knows where the custom came from or the rationale, but it exists. After visiting the Basilica, We then proceeded to see the museum on the square where it contains various Venetian art works, paintings, historical objects, weaponry, etc. Last thing during the day we did, is to go to the Palace, where the Duke/ Doge used to live and through various institutions, ruled Venice for centuries. It was quite an experience, and an eye-opener, however, I would not want to recount what is there. You can always pick up a travel guidebook and it will tell you in fuller details. At night, we the gang (Christine, Igor, Brian) went wondering around Venice for the last time, and had a few drinks in a bar. I had a really good time in the company of the Americans- nice people, great travel companions and all well-rounded, humorous individuals. To round off Venice part of my blog, i will just post some more pictures for you to see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Exterior of St. Mark's ChuchExterior of St. Mark's Chuch
Exterior of St. Mark's Chuch

You can see the Byzantine inifluence...Venice is an old city and has a long history dating back to Roman time and middle ages.
Venice's symbol Venice's symbol
Venice's symbol

Venice's symbol is the icon of St. Mark's the evangelist, which is lion with wings. You can see that on the top of the pillar on the left.
CampenelliCampenelli
Campenelli

Bell Tower
What is hanging from the ceiling?What is hanging from the ceiling?
What is hanging from the ceiling?

I went out with Chrstine, Igor, and Brian (all American) at night and had a drink in this bar.


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb