Florence Day 4/5


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 7th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday after a run along the river Arno we headed for a local bar which is about a dozen steps from the front door of our building. We were too late for the cornetti’s so were satisfied with 2 coffees instead.

That out of the way we went in search of the big red topless bus. We headed to the Duomo as it’s the #1 attraction in Florence and felt sure it would stop there. We only waited minutes and then we boarded and were off. The bus took us to the outskirts of Florence and up a winding hill through some olive groves and cypress trees to Frezole. What a beautiful town and what a view of Florence. I didn’t realise that the city lies between gorgeous green valleys, those picture postcard shots that you can associate with Tuscany.

The buses that we have been taking have a variety of routes and Florence is no exception. After finishing the Frezole route we took a break for lunch and to escape the heat and walked up a few back streets away from the main drag. We found a lovely pizzeria and had a couple of salads. R had tomato and basil and I had a tuna salad. Both were delicious and a welcome break from high carb/fat that I have consumed since we left. A few extra kgs have managed to creep on I’m sure! Of course we had a half litre of wine to compliment the food. This little place had been there for years and had some lovely pictures depicting Florence in various stages. When we were leaving we asked some passing tourists if they would take a pic for us. One of the guys wanted to be in the pic too and then asked his wife to take one with their camera. Not sure what nationality they were but we didn’t understand their words and they ours, but we communicated with lots of gestures and laughing.

We then jumped on the other line and took the city tour and saw all the famous sights promising to actually step foot in one of the museums and basilicas here in Florence. The bridges over the river Arno and its setting are beautiful, colourful and full of character.

We then headed back to our apartment for a bit of rest until dinner. Dinner was back at the footballers Trattoria where we sampled a local dish Tuscany Bread Soup (don’t know the Italian word for it)…yum, some chicken and beef and yep ½ litre of white. Dessert consisted of a gelato at the local Gelataria when we reach the apartment (about 2 minutes walk) then bed.


Advertisement



15th September 2008

Wishing you happy birthday
Hello Girls, Annette, have a fabulous birthady in Italy I am sure it will be one to remember.Have a glass or 5 for me too:-) Love to you Ange

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb