Amalfi to Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Amalfi CoastAmalfi CoastAmalfi Coast

The bus ride back to Naples
June 27th, 2007

Amalfi is a happening place. While we’re here they are celebrating St. Andrews. Canons are fired up into the air from a boat in front of the port every morning and evening. This morning they started at 6:30 am and they were so loud, I swear my bed shook. It’s seriously insane how loud they are. Tonight there’s going to be fireworks and we’ve got a bottle of bubbly chilling in our mini-bar fridge for the celebration.

We took a trip up to Ravello today. The town of music stands 360 meters above the ocean. The views were spectacular. There’s a garden we strolled through, churches, lemonchello factories, the orchestra/music venue that stands on the edge of the cliff and more. I would have loved to see some music there. There’s a month long festival starting in July, with a different artist or group performing every day. You could tell they were setting up for it. After that it was beach time and we just sun bathed, swam, read and slept on the beach.

I’m reading this book “The Power of Now” which is a spiritual book that teaches you to focus on the now, versus the past or where you are going in the future. I’m in practice, because there are times I feel this trip is going by a bit too fast, but I’m soaking it all up as I stay focused on what I see currently. Right now I’m sitting in the hotel room looking out of our window and viewing the bright blue ocean. Playing on my external ipod speaker is music from Cirque du Soleil. Quite peaceful and beautiful. It’s rise and shine tomorrow as we have to leave Amalfi at 6:30am to catch an express bus back to Naples and then a train to Florence. I’m looking forward to checking the sites out there. Amalfi has been great to us. Cheap food, drinks and souvenirs compared to any other place we’ve been. Charming town with many locals and a good crowd. The church service I saw yesterday was witness to how close the community here is. I like this place very much and would recommend it to anyone…available day trips to grottos, high mountain perches with gardens, friendly beaches, beautiful winding cliffs and more…Mwah!



June 28th, 2007

The fireworks were fantastico last night! Seriously
AmalfiAmalfiAmalfi

St. Andrews festival. Awesome fireworks show! This is our front row view from our hotel room. You can see the crowd forming.
amazing for at least 15-20 minutes long. We had a front row view from our hotel, you could see traffic winding up and down the narrow cobble stone roads. People were gathering in front of the marina or port area - what a grand site it was.

We woke up at 6am to leave Amalfi for Naples, and took a train from Naples, arriving in Florence by 1pm. This left us plenty of time to check out the Boboli Gardens behind the palace and to walk over to the Piazza Michelangelo for a view of the sunset. We walked back over the bridge to eat, and found a place near the Uffizi with plenty of outdoor seating, nice star light and live music in the far distance where ballet performers where getting their groove on.



June 29th, 2007

Our hostel just served the most amazing breakfast! First time we’ve had scrambled eggs and bacon since in USofA, served with chocolate cake, coco crispies, red orange juice and excellent coffee. MMMMMM! We head out to shop the streets of Florence, check out the duomo. There are 470 steps to the top! Whoooohooo! Then we had back
AmalfiAmalfiAmalfi

Great show!
to Milan for a quick night. Em leaves us tomorrow morning which makes me sad, but my sister and I look forward to our continued adventures.

Ciao!







Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

AppetizerAppetizer
Appetizer

Mmmmmmmm!
Orchestra Stage in RavelloOrchestra Stage in Ravello
Orchestra Stage in Ravello

A month long music festival plays here on this stage - beautiful!
Ravello Ravello
Ravello

View from this town high in the mountains above Amalfi
RavelloRavello
Ravello

Cimbrone Gardens
RavelloRavello
Ravello

Caitlin in the Cimbrone Gardens
RavelloRavello
Ravello

Cimbrone Gardens - that is me!
RavelloRavello
Ravello

Em and I posing with the statch
RavelloRavello
Ravello

Pottery for sale


29th June 2007

All your pictures are so beautiful! I wish I could be there with you guys!
29th June 2007

Your pictures are great, keep up the good work!
29th June 2007

Your Pictures of Ravello made me weep! So breathtaking...almost surreal. Yes, you need to take in every moment. Memory is a beautiful thing - it can transport you back to a place and time just when you need it most!
30th June 2007

Luvin it
Hey!!! The updates are fantastic-- I kinda feel a little bit there,.... minus the extraordinary scenery, delicious food, and your company of course!!! The pics are breathtaking!!!
2nd July 2007

wowsers
what a trip, glad you guys are loving it so much. I think you are finding your calling as a travel writer.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb