Firenze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
December 30th 2006
Published: December 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral of Santa Maria Del FioreCathedral of Santa Maria Del FioreCathedral of Santa Maria Del Fiore

Considered the center of Florence. This is one huge church built in the 13th century.
Today was the first time that we did not get fog on the second day of our visit. It started in London, and followed us to Munich, Salzburg, Garmisch and Venice. Today, instead of fog, it rained. Actually it was a small drizzle and did us no harm.

The day started with a tour of the “Wash & Dry” Lavarapido museum. The museum was filled with ancient machines that you feed your clothing into along with 30 Euros. Two hours later you have clean clothes for the first time in two weeks! Stunning! Sure beats statues of naked men. Linda's comments: the hotel would have charged us about 130 Euros to wash our clothes. It was worth the trip to the "museum".

Florence is another beautiful city with lots of shopping and people who want to separate us from our money. One person separated some money from Linda for some pink boots and a leather briefcase. We had one of the best dinners of the trip last night at an out of the way restaurant called Pane Y Olio. It was a prix fix menu. All seafood and all delicious. We highly recommend to anyone who visits here.
Arno RiverArno RiverArno River

Looking East from the Ponte Vecchio Bridge

Tonight we will dine across the Arno River overlooking the Ponte Vecchio Bridge.

Tomorrow we catch the train to Rome. Until then, Arrivaderci. Now, finally, Linda has a few words.

Here’s the real story: We were sitting at an outdoor café having our afternoon gelato, and I turned toward a store window. I couldn’t believe my eyes - a pair of pink suede hiking boots! How could anyone resist? I firmly believe it was fate, since this was my first gelato stop of the whole trip. I received plenty of comments on my purchase from my obnoxious men folk. They were actually standing outside the store window making “no” gestures. Clearly they have no taste. As for the briefcase, my old one is 20 years old, so I desperately needed an update.

I’ll try to monitor this blog better, since the moderator is embellishing quite a bit…

Linda





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Having GelatoHaving Gelato
Having Gelato

And none too happy about it. Linda's note: he's a liar - we didn't think he was taking a picture.... Larry's note: Seconds later Linda spotted the pink hiking boots in the window directly in front of her. Pink hiking?


31st December 2006

Linda...I am behind you 100% on getting the pink hiking boots...wish I was there to shop for pink boots with you. Your blog is awesome - love the pictures of you guys. I feel like I'm taking a vacation with you. Love, Sue (Susan/Aunt Susan/Little sister Susan...)

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb