European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Barga
October 17th 2013
Published: October 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

BargaBargaBarga

City gates
Another sunny day and plans were made to take a train to Barga and explore the “most Scottish town in Italy” (apparently many Italian migrants to Scotland returned to Italy when the Italian economy improved and a large number resettled in Barga). We calculated the cost of taking public transport and this resulted in a search for a cheap car rental in Lucca. Jon found a bargain-priced 4 day rental of a near new Lancia Ypsilon and off we went to Barga. We found a hospitable café owner who was happy to provide us with lunch even though it was after 2pm! We then headed off to explore the Centro Storico and it proved to be a beautiful example of an Italian hill town. There were many lovely streets, squares and houses and, as is so often the case, a big cathedral on top of the hill! The cathedral was very ancient and, for a structure which was started in 998, it was in very good condition. The views from the church grounds were spectacular and many lovely photos were taken.

Scots and Italians aren’t the only dominant force in Barga - we found the Barga Opera building proudly displaying
BargaBargaBarga

Heading into the old town
an Australian flag (and less importantly a British flag)…no idea why.

We then found the Hotel di Paologas, the home of the Celtic Football Supporters Club of Barga. Jon, Mon, Jess & Rosie will be returning here next Tuesday night to watch Celtic play Ajax.

A vote was taken on whether to have an ice cream and a coffee before we left. The result was 6-0 in favour so we sat in a pleasant courtyard and enjoyed our treat.



Some very boring but necessary supermarket shopping was carried out before we headed home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

BargaBarga
Barga

Painted umbrellas in one of the piazzas
BargaBarga
Barga

Pomegranates in one of the piazzas
IMGP2634 (800x505)IMGP2634 (800x505)
IMGP2634 (800x505)

Outside the Duomo
BargaBarga
Barga

Part of the view from outside the Duomo
BargaBarga
Barga

One of the colourful houses
BargaBarga
Barga

Heading across the bridge out of the old town


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb