2 Rest Day’s in Bagno Vignoni


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Bagno Vignoni
June 13th 2016
Published: June 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We are taking 2 rest day in South Tuscany just enjoying the country side and the quiet of the Villa. On Sunday we took a short drive to La Foce found a wonderful Ristorante-Bar and enjoyed a lovely lunch with a great bottle Chianti. Afterwards we headed up the road to La Force Villa & Garden for a tour of the garden and an in-depth history lesson of the area and the philanthropic activities of the owner up to and including WW2. In 1924 Antonio and Iris Origo bought La Foce and engaged English Architect Ceil Pinsent to enlarge the house, farm, build a school and hospital and making a garden that would protect them from the harshness of the land. The garden grew gradually in 4 phases between 1924 and 1939. This was a wonderful afternoon walking off lunch and enjoying the history of the area.



Monday has been other great day enjoying the country side of Tuscany. In the morning we enjoyed a lovely stroll around San Quirico D’Orcia which still has its original medieval street plan and fortified walls. This with the valley walls is also the Horti Leonini gardens that were designed in 1540, today within the garden we came across to painters enjoying the garden and painting in the Tuscany sun. We then head over the hill to Montalcino which has been made famous by its Brunello namesake, one of the world’s best red wines. This area has over 3000 hectares of vineyards with 1500 hectares dedicated to Brunello. After a lovely lunch in the town piazza we head to see the Abbey of Saint’Antimo but before we find this we found a wonderful small winery Le Macioche where the winemaker provided us with a interesting tour of his vineyard and cellar finishing with wine tasting of 3 of his wonderful wines ranging from 2013 to 2008. Great way to spend our last day in Southern Tuscany.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th June 2016
DSC_8217 (2)

Nice parking
20th June 2016
DSC_8217 (2)

the Ape 50 is designed to carry... well Rose would need to drive as I cant get in the cabin...
20th June 2016
DSC_8112

Magic

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb