Arezzo and Anghiari - Thursday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Arezzo
May 16th 2013
Published: May 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Considering we have been staying just outside Arezzo for the past 6 days we thought we had better visit the town. Sandra, our host arrived over to the cottage this morning to greet us. She had been in England for a relative's wedding until Tuesday. She was very chatty and offered us an umbrella for the day as it was tipping down with rain. She gave us a few tips of where to visit as well so with extra maps and coats fleeces and brolleys off we set.

We drove right up to the old part of Arezzo. It is quite a big town compared with many we have visited, the modern part being on the flat and as usual the old part on the hill top although there were just a few ups and downs. World War 11 was responsible for much damage and consequent rebuilding.

Arezzo is one of the wealthiest towns in Italy producing gold jewellery for shops all over Italy. There are a number of piazzas and Piazza Grande is famous for the regular antiques markets and shops surrounding it. We had a look in some of the shops and Jim's photos give an apt account of the content of some of the shops!

San Fresco is the 13th Century church that is worth a visit. I have to say I am more sold on the frescoes than the heavier darker oil paintings that fill these old churches. The San Fresco church is famous for the Pierro della Francesca's Legend of the true cross which after restoration are now on view.

The legend tells how Adam's son planted a tree following his death using a seed or branch from a tree from the Garden of Eden. The next part is the story when the Queen of Sheeba relates to Solomon that she worshipped the beams that had come from the tree and that the saviour would be hung from the tree. This caused Solomon to cut it down and bury it and it remained buried until the Romans discovered it. The crucifixion followed this.

Then Constantine had a dream and was told "by this sign shall you conquer" the sign being of the cross and this was when he did not believe in Christ. He went into battle at the Melvian Bridge on the Tiber and he defeated the enemy. He later converted to Christianity. His mother Helena also converted and she wanted to know where Jesus had been crucified She knew that Judas knew but he would not tell so she had him thrown into a pit and tortured. She was eventually told by him and taken to where the three crosses at Calvary were buried. The problem was which was the cross that Jesus had been crucified on. The three crosses were laid out and Judas suggested that the cross should be held over a recently crucified and dead man. The young man came back to life proving that the true identity of the cross!

Anyway apart from the story Pierra del Francesa's fresco is considered as a great master piece. The Church is dedicated to St Francis of Assissi.

In the late afternoon after a deluge of rainfall we set off for the Bridge of Buriano still standing from the early 13th century. This bridge is incorporated in the Mona Lisa!

Then we went on to visit the lovely organic farm not far from there. The Italian family who own the farm export their produce all over Europe.

So the evening was spent in yet another gem of a medieval town -Anghiari. I have to say this one definitely beats them all. It is on a hill top once again and the views are amazing across the countryside and it dates back to Roman times. The medieval houses are so well maintained with local families occupying them mainly. The alleys have potted plants and the red tiled roofs are so quaint. We had a meal in one of the restaurants - definitely the best meal yet. This one must not be missed.

Sad tomorrow is our last day but such memories we will hold of this lovely part of the world. We have had a wonderful time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb