The magnificent SudTyrol


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Ortisei
July 16th 2013
Published: July 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 Sunday July 14.

Nice breaky although the only hot choice is one boiled egg. Magnificent cereal fruit bread ham and cheese choices though. Plenty of food.

Cut lunches are interesting. The hotel will make you a sandwich but at Eu8 ($12), they don’t represent good value. So the deal is a walk to the town (nobody pre-prepares sandwiches), and the supermarket will make them up for you if you first go to the bread/roll counter, have them slice it (a must), then take the bread to the deli in the bag with the price sticker on it, and they will add the filling (primarily ham and/or cheese), add the incremental stickers onto the bag then you take it to the register. Very quaint but by the end, you have a decent roll at a reasonable cost $5 for 2.

Walk kicked off at 9.30. Our group was 11. A 3 km walk to a chair lift then up to the high plain. Views are astounding but because of the cost of the internet connection, I will only attach token pics at this stage. Suffice to say, the snow fields are 1000 meters or so above the village and then they keep rising. Magnificent lush green meadows surrounded by rocky peaks made of Dolomiti Limestone. The views are spectacular and change with each kilometre you walk. Also the sun’s movement plays its part by changing the appearance of the mountains as the day passes.

The other thing of note is the abundance of multi coloured wild flowers. I was at first cynical about this, but later, amazed.

The walking was by no means easy but was varied and magnificent. It trundled a little slowly for us so we undertook to take the harder walk tomorrow.

Even managed a needed nap before dinner which was again very filling.

In other aspects tho, the hotel is very expensive – wifi $6 per hour, a coke $5.50, and they wont give you tap water at dinner. Gotta buy….. Cup of tea is $3 day or night. Beer at $7 is however very tasty.

Now for tomorrow after a magnificent day. Weather was perfect all day. Fine and 20 deg with a slight breeze.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th July 2013

Looks like a perfect day
Amazing photos

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb