Sicily Day 5 Erice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily
October 14th 2015
Published: October 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Sicily Day 5. Erice

We could have stayed a while in San Vito with its turquoise sea, lovely beach with soft sand and the warm breeze caressing our weary bodies. Alas it was not to be. We were whisked away up a nasty steep hill only to descend back into town and then climb up out of the valley on the road we scooted down with such gusto yesterday afternoon. I volunteered to be the back marker today and took charge of Bill, who was having a real struggle, not just with the wind but his energy levels and lack of fitness. Three of us surrounded him to act as a shield from the Scirocco, which was still making its presence felt, and reducing our forward motion to snail's pace. However, the time came when he dismounted, sat on the wall and refused to budge. We rang ahead to Greg who came back down the hill and arranged a taxi, which was then shared by John who was not too keen on hills either. We eventually got over the hill and found lunch in Custonaci. Very fresh ham baguette, a banana and a pear for 2 euro 40. I finished this off with coffee and an apple turnover in a cafe, 2 euro 50. We descended by the coast near Lido Forgia before our final and nasty climb of the day up to Erice at 720 metres over 6 miles. This caused a few more to dismount and grumble somewhat on some of the many hairpin bends. Once at the top we grabbed a coffee before going to the hotel up a street not unlike the street up into Mont St Michelle in France. The room is very spacious, with a good shower and I am looking forward to visiting the bed very soon. Unfortunately it was almost 11pm before I hit the pillow after a good meal and plenty of conversation with our cycling group. Sword fish Gain, but who is complaining? Except for the sheeps cheese starter which could have been used for repairing my worn shoe soles. The red wine was part of the meal package and was quite good, as was all the wine consumed so far. I must look out for Sicilian wine on my return home.

Before dinner we went into town, which resembles the road up into Mont Saint Michelle in Normandy. Some filming had been taking place in the square earlier of the Americans as they came to save the Italians from the Germans in 1943. There were jeeps, guns and old cars there awaiting resumption of filming tomorrow.

Tomorrow is forecast wet until after breakfast so there is no rush to set off. Sleep tight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement




Tot: 0.438s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb