Aeolian Islands of smoking volcano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily
July 11th 2007
Published: July 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I spend a lovely 5 days on the Aeolian Islands, just of the northern cost of Sicily. It was a very early start to get there 3.30am pick up from Balham; I travelled with my friend Jane, her sis and her sis’s friend Jane. After landing in Palermo we caught a 5hr ferry to Lipari our base for the holiday, passing some of the outer islands on the way through. We arrived a little jaded - to say the least. But the sight of our hotel perked us all up - stunning pool with views down onto the old town, including the Citadel and ocean, perfect. We ended the day with a local wine pool side and a pizza dinner by candle light in the buzzing old town.

I did some exploring on my 2hr run the following morning; discovering some nearby bays and a grisly excavation area. That day was rancho-relaxo pool side most of the morning. In the afternoon we explored the old town, Citadel and visited the smaller old port. Of course there was gelato a plenty as it must have been hitting around 30 degrees, a very nice change from the London ‘summer’.

During our trip we did 2 excursions. The first was to Panarea & Stromboli. Panarea suppose to be the more glamour party island, however maybe that was 10years ago, it was very Greece as all the walls were whitewashed. But we did have a delicious lunch in Hotel Raya, with a stunning view towards Stromboli. I also took the first dip of 2007 in the med… it was delightful, very salty. The island had a nice feel to it, but we were off and motoring towards the smoking and puffing Stromboli. We went past bubbling water, crazy the steam from the volcano was coming up out of the ocean, never seen anything like that before. There was an small rock formation off the coast of the island, the top of it was shaped like a rabbit and horse, very strange. Stromboli was very tourist and we enjoyed a vino and gelato people watching in the main square. Sadly on the way back we didn’t see any lava… hmmm.

Out final day on the island was a slow start due to enjoying a little too much vino on the boat trip back from Stromboli! But we managed to get over to Volcano to climb Fossa di Volcano for a lovely view of all the Aeolian Islands as the sun was setting. After marching up that mountain I was the only one brave enough to take a therapeutic soak in the famous mud baths; Laghettl di Fanghi. Needless to say I can still smell the sulphur in the top I wore in, never mind, it was unique experience.

Photo Link

We said good-bye to the Aeolian Islands and set off back to London around noon … 14hrs on the trot. That is the last late night budget flight I ever take. Being in Italy I obviously have to purchase a couple of essential bags on this mini break!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb