Segesta, Trapani and Erice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Trapani
September 17th 2012
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.0171, 12.5178

We left Celafu on Saturday morning and headed toward Trapani. We found a little place in old town, a b&b, on the internet. On the wat there, we stopped at Segesta to see the Greek temple and amphitheater that was there. They are both on top of two hills outside of town. The temple was built around 400BC. It was awesome! The Greek theater was built in 3BC on top of Mont Barbaro. What a view from it. It could seat 3500 people and is still use for plays today.
We left Segesta after lunch and headed toward our B&B. We arrived in the afternoon. It was warm and sunny. We had to park the car a couple of blocks away from the B&B, because the whole center of town is very narrow with no parking. The place is really cute. Its a 19th century building that has been redone on the inside. If we look left from our balcony, we can see the shipping port. If we look right, we can see the beaches.
We did a walking tour of old town Trapani, had a nice dinner and went to bed. The next morning, we drove over to the funivia to go to the top of the mountain. It was closed. A taxi driver came over to us and said it opened at 1:00PM. It was 10:30AM. He offered to drive us up for 15 Euro. Another taxi driver came over and said we could drive up in about 20 minutes and there was plenty of parking up there. We drove up. Its a big mountain at 3,000 meters. Erice is a medevil town on top of the mountain. It has about 10 churches, some dating back to 1076. It has an old castle, that is mostly in ruins. The streets are very narrow, paved with cobble stones and the buildings are all made of stone. We walked around for about for about 5 hours. It is one of the best towns we have seen so far. We headed back down to our B&B and a short nap before going out and finding a resturant for dinner. I'm sure we will sleep good tonight. Tomorrow we head toward Agrigento.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th September 2012

I smacked my face into a door like that in England!!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb