April 30 , 2009


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Cagliari
April 30th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

SardiniaSardiniaSardinia

Laurie and arches
Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean; Sicily is the largest. It was colonized by the Phoenicians in the 7th century B.C.; the first city was settled by the Carthaginians. It was captured by the Romans in 238 A.D.; controlled Pisa and Genoa in the 13th century and then the Spanish Kingdom of Aragon. Eventually it was controlled by Italy but our guide told us the natives of the central part of the island don’t speak Italian or Spanish but Sardinian, a language that is a combination of both. She couldn’t speak it as she was only taught Italian in school.
Traffic was terrible because tomorrow starts the Festival of Sant’ Efisio, the patron Saint of Sardinia. Seems like in the area there is a festival for something almost every day.
We walked through the old town area and past the relics of the Roman Amphitheatre cut into the limestone. There is an area where all the museums are centralized including the National Archeological Museum with relics from the roman era. We saw many old arches, towers and walls. We went into the Cathedral which was very nice, not like the one in Seville but
CagliariCagliariCagliari

Cathedral
amazing inlaid marble. The pulpit was designed in 1162 and brought to the church in 1312. The Cathedral is the burial site of every member of the House of Saxony who died between 1799 and 1815, including the wife of King Louis XVIII of France, who was from Saxony.
It was interesting and quaint but not nearly as cool as Seville, of course it was a much smaller city. Oly about 125,000 people live in Cagliari, partly because of the cost of living. Our guide told us that a flat (apartment, condo) costs about 5000 Euros per square meter of space. A Euro is 1.3or 1.4 American dollars.
The main resource of Sardinia is sheep, including the cheese and wool from them. The wool isn’t very good quality but is sold to England to be made into carpets. They also make wine - had a small sample and it was OK.
We had a chance to shop and the prices seemed high, like Dockers for 85 Euros for a pair; Dolce and Gibanna watches started at 350 Euros. We shopped in the boutiques across from the pier area and also in the only major department store.
We went to Sabitini’s
Cagliari SardiniaCagliari SardiniaCagliari Sardinia

Top of the city
for dinner again tonight for another wonderful experience. Good Night to all. Tomorrow we go to Rome - only disappointment is that the Sistine Chapel is closed - but we have many other things to see.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb