Cagliari - one last push!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Cagliari
August 2nd 2018
Published: August 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

31st July

Cagliari



One last push



Our fourth port in four days and I think we might be getting a little jaded.



Still onward and upward, literally,



Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia, and sits in the Gulf if Cagliari. Sardinia is the second largest island in the Mediterranean after Sicily.



Our walk took us up to the heights of the Elephant and St Pancras Towers.

Both towers dominate the city, the Tower of St Pancras has massive white masonry whist the Tower of the Elephant still has its battlements and portcullis intact and has become a symbol of the cities past glories and achievements.



A lot of renovations being done and coupled with the number of tourists make it a very busy place.



Our goal was the Roman Amphitheatre, elliptical in shape, set in a hollow and opens to a curtain of green sea, albeit with the flight path of the airport interrupting every now and again.

To reach this point we passed the Cathedral of San Cecilia, the Palazza Reale and the National Archaeological Museum on Piazza.



All worth a look. And on the way down passed the Church of San Michelle and Santa Anna.



By the time we had done this the temperature was back to above 30 degrees, on the walk back to the ship the tarmac was melting.



So a nice cold beer was called for, Peroni of course!!!



Just Gibraltar for half a day (Duty free for passengers and Crew) and then its home after 4 weeks



Only problem is - the builders are in!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 1.178s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 22; qc: 84; dbt: 0.7712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb