Milano, our last Italian stop.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
August 18th 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are nearly on our way back home. But I had no intention to drive all the way straight from Venice to my parents place in Luxembourg. Milan is on our way...so why not stop here. Ok, we could have also stopped in Verona, but this is for next time. We have our car full of bags, so I do not feel very confident to leave the car unattended in a car park. On our way to Milan, we also made a little stop for one of the big outlet village...shopping...shopping...

Milano in August...I knew the place was quiet, but I did not expected to be THAT quiet. The good news is that driving is made so easy, as there is simply nobody in town. I think London at 6am on Sunday mornings is way more crowded! We arrived just after lunch time on a Thursday afternoon...to find a ghost city. I even had to ask our concierge if there was some kind of public holidays....the answer is no, this is simply August, it's like this for three weeks.

We parked, and on foot we went to explore. What a surprise, the city is really nice, specially the shopping area. I was stunned by the Duomo. The renovation of the Cathedral seems to be over, and the work is magnificient. On a sunny day like the day of our visit, the Duomo shine...all white, amazingly white! Magnificient!

We also stopped by La Scala. I would have enjoyed a perfomance with Ma'ri in long gown and me in black tie, but the is August...and La Scala...was also out of season... perfomances will also have to wait for our next visit! One of the highlight of the center of Milano must be the Galleria Vitorio Emmanuele...another amazing architectural wonder...and all this in such a small place!

In terms of shopping most of the shop are closed...well, a good 60% of them. But we still had the pleasure of paying a visit to the new collections of Valentino, Zegna, etc. You have to consider that if I shop in such places...it is only during the sales...and summer sales are basically over. For the winter collection...we look, we try...we touch...but we don't buy...have you already try to wear a nice winter coat in Bangkok in January...the weather is slightly too hot at home to enjoy wearing any winter collection!

We retired by our hotel after a long afternoon of serious walk on a very sunny Thursday. Leslie was dead and ready to go to sleep. For us, another lounge and an early night. Next day, that was the 18th of August, we had to wake up at 5am to start to drive to Luxembourg...and that same day, Leslie is 10 year old! Big boy!

Summer holidays entries are over soon. I do not garantee you that I will stop writing entries...as I'm very close to board another plane for another new country...

Do not forget...some dream their live...we live our dreams! Not always relaxing...but it help you aging with a lot of wonderful souvenirs...

From Bangkok with love...for now...




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



14th April 2012

need info plz
where did u stay? Any tips? did anyone organise the local travel / tours for you? plz share ... thanks :)
14th April 2012

Milano
Milano is a very easy city to go by yourself...it's actually easy to walk around. for the stay, it's all depend on the budget...but middle of August was really cheap...

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb