Return to San Remo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Sanremo
April 21st 2011
Published: April 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Return to San Remo


Tuesday 22nd March 2011

Leaving France for Italy and a wonderful drive along the Riviera along the promenade at Nice, over the corniche to Monaco crossing into Italy at Ventimiglia and on to San Remo.

Wednesday 23rd March 2011

Glorious day with fine sunny weather and a free BBQ laid on by the campsite. Four courses, inc wine and lemon liqueur for all guests – excellent ! The boys got in some catapult practice and fishing and later we made lemonade from fresh local lemons.

Thursday 24th March 2011

After a morning of schoolwork we walked along the dedicated walking/cycle path into San Remo to the old port where we discovered a wine festival and the annual flower festival were planned for the weekend.

Friday 25th March 2011

Having spotted four seater bikes were available the boys insisted we had a go – an hour was about right with the boys taking turns to steer ! We then caught the local bus along the coast to Imperia where we visited the excellent Carli olive oil museum and factory. Followed by lots of sampling of olive related goodies in the factory shop. We decided to catch the train back to San Remo. It was five o’clock and quite busy yet the ticket office was closed. Neither of the two ticket machines were in working order and we were told by a railway employee we would have to buy tickets on the train. When the ticket inspector arrived he refused to accept our story and decided to fine us, luckily a lady who had seen us at the station stood up for us and he then reluctantly issued a ticket.

Saturday 26th March 2011

Lazy morning catching a few rays. Late afternoon off to San Remo for marching bands and the wine festival. The bands were splendid in period costume and one group insisted in firing their muskets at every opportunity, the sound of this reverberated round the narrow streets and necessitated fingers in ears when in close proximity. The wine festival was being held in the old town in the‘Pigna’ district.
Stalls were set up at various points displaying local producers wines and once a glass was in your possession ( 5€ ) you could wander from stall to stall sampling as you liked – we did ! Finally we decided to call it a day and get something to soak it all up we located a nice pizzeria for dinner before heading back to bed.

Sunday 27th March 2011

Up and out to town for the flower festival. Accompanied by the marching bands we had seen the previous evening floats decorated with flowers were paraded through the town. The theme this year was Italian cities and the 150th anniversary of Italy being united as one nation. The place was packed and chaos reigned. Seemingly people come from far and wide and arrive by the coach load. One car park on the edge of town which had been completely empty earlier in the week had been dedicated to motorhomes staying for the weekend and was packed out. ( English councils have a lot to learn )
A large local speciality food market had been set up by the port and we browsed sampling delicious olives, oil, bread, pesto etc. In the early afternoon rain stopped play with a heavy shower and we retreated via the local supermarket to the campsite.

Monday 28th March 2011

Overcast and showery today spent on schoolwork and domestics in preparation for our move to Garda on Tuesday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb