Welcome Tyler


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Monterosso al Mare
April 17th 2015
Published: April 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Welcome TylerWelcome TylerWelcome Tyler

Tyler adds some much needed youth to the group.
Today was our first full day in Italy.

We are staying in Cinque Terre, an Italian National Park featuring five historic fishing villages that could only be accessed by sea until the railroad arrived in 1929. The five villages and the park named after them are collectively "Cinque Terre," which in English means ... wait for it ... Five Villages!

It is a picture postcard place with beautiful, brightly colored homes clinging to the sides of sheer cliffs, like infants to their mothers.

We are staying in Monterosso al Mare, the northern most and largest of the villages. We rented a lovely apartment overlooking the Mediterrenean Sea.

Moving south from Monterosso al Mare, the villages are Venazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.

Today we began to explore ...

After a good night's sleep, listening to waves crash the beach outside our windows, we awoke refreshed and wandered to the local bakery to purchase fresh bread and sweet treats for breakfast.

About 9:00 a.m. we walked to the train station (a grueling three minute trek) to meet the special guest star in our story ... Tyler Stone.

Tyler is Karen's and Mal's grandson. He is a sophomore at Saint Louis University and is studying at SLU's Madrid campus for a semester. Tyler has been spending his weekdays studying, and his weekends traveling Europe. We are so glad he was able to join us for a couple of days.

With Tyler on board, we jumped on the train the carries tourists like us between the Cinque Terre Villages and rode south to Riomaggiore.

We spent the morning exploring this small but beautiful town. Malcolm had a special treat when he enjoyed the first gelato of his life.

After Riomaggiore we hopped the train to Manarola ... like Riomaggiore, it is a beautiful place.

We sat at a cafe near the sea, while Tyler climbed a trail up to a spot overlooking the village. After a couple of minute he was back, telling us that we NEEDED to "climb up there too."

After some grumbling about the merits of climbing "up there," we left our little comfortable little cafe and headed up ... and admittedly, when we got to the top it was worth it. Take a look at the photos.

After a long day we made our way back to Monterosso. We had a nice meal and a nice walk along the beach. We are looking forward to tomorrow.

Please comment, we love to hear from you.

Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



18th April 2015

Follow
Love following you all on your trip.
18th April 2015

Cinque Terre
The Cinque Terre is as breathtaking as I imagined! I really wish we were able to get there when we went...I guess we'll just have to go back! I'm so glad grandpa got to experience gelato....I suggest ya'll try some wine and a sample of gelato in each village you visit! Enjoy!!
18th April 2015

Description of villages
Steve says tour description sounds like a narative of a post card. He said if not...you should be writing them. Post cards. Beautiful pics..I'm jealous, I never got to Europe just Ireland. That should be your next trip. Hope the Gelato is as good as Mal's face looks eating it. Have fun.
19th April 2015

Looking good and so is jack
Looks like everyone is having a great time! Thats cool that you got to see tyler. Jack is doing awesome! Everyone loves him and never wants him to leave :) well talk soon. - Blake

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb