Monterosso al Mere


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Monterosso al Mare
June 18th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 16th June, 2012 – Monterosso Al Mere

On the train journey from Arezzo, we passed some high mountains that looked from a distance to have snow on them. On getting closer, we realised that the mountain was in fact a giant quarry. The mountain had been stripped of all vegetation and marble and granite was being quarried there (see photo). There were huge yards full of the cut stone along the railway line - some looked to weigh in excess of a couple of tonnes!

We arrived after a very tiring day of travel on 3 different trains. After getting the shuttle bus from the train station to the hotel up a very winding and steep road – probably only about 1.5 km but about 150m above sea level and maybe 750 metres inland – we checked in a the hotel, freshened up and caught the shuttle bus back to the village for a bit of a walk around and some dinner. There’s no restaurant service at the hotel!

The sights of Montorosso are very interesting – old architecture, remnants of ancient forts, terraced agriculture on very steep hills, very casually dressed people – most in
Montorosso al MereMontorosso al MereMontorosso al Mere

The view from our hotel room balcony
some form of swimming togs, lots of tourists. Food and drinks here are very expensive compared to Urbania – but I guess that’s to be expected – it is the high season in a tourist town!







Monday, 18th June, 2012 – Monterosso Al Mere

It’s chill-out day today. We will journey into the village a couple of times – once for lunch, maybe once for dinner.

The rest of the day will be spent on the sun lounges in front of the hotel overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, watching the boats coming and going, reading and getting a bit of the beautiful sunshine.

The weather here has been fabulous. Today it’s expected to be 18-26 (currently at 11:00am, it’s 25), Tues – 19-26, Wed – 19-25, Thu – 18-25 – sure beats the less than zero temperatures of Canberra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Montorosso al MereMontorosso al Mere
Montorosso al Mere

The view from our hotel room balcony
Montorosso al MereMontorosso al Mere
Montorosso al Mere

The town - zoomed in from our hotel room balcony
Monterosso al MereMonterosso al Mere
Monterosso al Mere

This certainly isn't Bondi !!


19th June 2012

sounds like you guys are only having best time ever!!! very cool

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb