Loving Cinque Terre


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
September 15th 2007
Published: October 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me @ the beachMe @ the beachMe @ the beach

Riomaggiore - Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre 13/9-15/9/07

After Pisa, we headed for the coast and changed at La Spezia bound for the first of five villages Riomaggiore. After travelling through some long dark tunnels, we were suddenly hit by the big blue mediterranean sea, the sun shining, the sea sparkling (true bliss). The train route along the coastline is mid way up the cliff face overlooking the ocean. Riomaggiore is perched on a cliff top and quickly descends down to a tiny fishing port where the water is crystal clear. The relaxed atmosphere made us wished that we had planned a few more days here. Despite what I had been told by a few, there are plenty of beaches (free for public), not the golden sand beaches kiwis and aussies expect but just as good when the sun is shining all day every day and the water is warm.
We checked into our hostel (Cinque Terre Holidays) which was more like a selection of apartments all over the village filled with travellers. We shared ours with an aussie couple Jodi and Scott and a couple of americans.
First stop in Riomaggiore, the beach. The beach was made up of large stones which made for
Beach ArtBeach ArtBeach Art

Riomaggiore - Cinque Terre
some interesting sun bathing but was surprisingly comfortable. The water was sooooo nice.

The next day we were up early to avoid the crowds and start the trek along the coast through the five villages, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. The early start was a good move, cooler temperatures and the bonus was that we only passed one or two people between the first 3 villages. The trek between Vernazza and Monterosso was the hardest out of the four but we got treated to some great views and were treated to another beach and swim in Monterosso. After relaxing on the beach for a couple of hours, we took the ferry back to Riomag’.

The next day we hired a snorkel and hit the beach for the morning before our afternoon train to Nice. The one thing I regretted was the amount of time we had to spend in Cinque Terre. So relaxing, I could of stayed for weeks. Highly recommend this area.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

RiomaggioreRiomaggiore
Riomaggiore

Cinque Terre
Lovers WalkLovers Walk
Lovers Walk

Cinque Terre
ManarolaManarola
Manarola

Cinque Terre
CornigliaCorniglia
Corniglia

Cinque Terre
The trackThe track
The track

Cinque Terre
Spot the snakeSpot the snake
Spot the snake

Cinque Terre
The waterThe water
The water

Cinque Terre
Three KittiesThree Kitties
Three Kitties

Cinque Terre
VernazzaVernazza
Vernazza

Cinque Terre
Paul on the trackPaul on the track
Paul on the track

Cinque Terre
Kiwi @ MonterossoKiwi @ Monterosso
Kiwi @ Monterosso

Cinque Terre
Jo @ MonterossoJo @ Monterosso
Jo @ Monterosso

Cinque Terre
Local FloraLocal Flora
Local Flora

Cinque Terre


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb