Huge Bucket List Item Checked Off!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 18th 2015
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

It was a bit of a long night, there was a nice crowd right below our apt, and they were celebrating something, maybe the soccer win? Photo for proof ;-)

Well, a great day today! Got up and was able to make myself a breakfast of two scrambled eggs with some picante (spicy) salami, yumm... we then left to find Rome Baptist Church, it was my 4th time there, love it, very welcoming, good message, great to be with so many people of different nationalities. After seeing so many Jesus' on the cross, as a baby, or Mary and other saints glorified it was wonderful to worship in a simple church with like-minded believers, very refreshing!

After this, we walked down Via Condotti, the most famous shopping street and probably the most expensive place to shop in the world up to the Spanish Steps. The steps were fenced off I guess for renovation the church at the top looks like it's being renovated also, Then off to find the Trevi Fountain, on our way we saw a sign beckoning us to an archeological site, how could we turn it down? I'm happy my travel companion has the same interests that
A nice group singing at Rome Baptist ChurchA nice group singing at Rome Baptist ChurchA nice group singing at Rome Baptist Church

Other people were taking pics so I thought I'd snap a quick one!
I have! we found a little underground museum devoted to the discovery and excavation of an old well and apartment complex, I've included a few photos for you.

We had to move on as we had a 3:30 apt to see Nero's Golden Dome, totally fascinating, I've been wanting to see this each time I've been here and hadn't been able to find out how to visit. Was finally able to get that figured out online, bought the tickets in early September, they sell out quickly as they only let a few in on the weekends as it's an ongoing working site. So the hardhats were worn and we looked accordingly adorable ;-0 in them..... The tour lasted an hour and a half, we had a great tour guide, I have lots of photos attached, this was really a high point for me as I really have wanted to see this. Nero's Palace covered 17 hectares, whatever that is, huge anyway. It only took 4 years, amazing what you can do with unlimited slavery (I'm assuming). He didn't get to enjoy it for long as I believe he was assassinated the year or the year after it was finished. The Senate commanded that his memory and legacy be wiped out, so the following year the Colosseum was started where the artificial lake was and that the entire palace complex overlooked. 35 years later Trajan literally filled in the remaining palace with rubble and added, even more, foundation walls to make public baths. Nero was not beloved by the public so that is why where his palace was they made public buildings, the Colosseum and baths are examples.

After this, we discovered the entrance to Trajan's forum and the other forums here that are not "THE" forum that everyone thinks about. I've wondered how to tour it but never seen the entrance or found much on the internet about it, we went in and asked and found out they are open and we can tour it! another bucket list item hopefully will be marked off on Tuesday!!

We decided we'd go back to the apt to get my jacket as it was getting colder then we'd go to da Baffetos for their famous pizza. On the way, we were deluged with rain! our umbrellas were safe and dry back in the apt.... the street sellers came out with their umbrellas but I refused as I literally have 2 back in the apt!!! anyway when he came back around I bought a poncho for 2 euros, it actually was much better than an umbrella at this point as an umbrella wouldn't have kept us dry in that rain, the streets were a bit flooded my shoes got soaked, etc... on top of it all I got totally turned around and we had to use Karen's gps to help us find our way back. We still had a good sense of humor through it all, it's just another different experience in Roma! plus we learned a great lesson in bringing our umbrellas with us when the forecast says there's a chance of rain! When we got back to the apt, our fresh dry umbrellas were safe and snug, I quickly changed into my warm pj's and then started to cook some dinner. Yesterday when we passed another grocery store we went in to check it out and compare prices, I found fresh pasta and arribiata pasta sauce and bought them intending at some point to have a dinner in. Tonight was the night! Enjoyed a nice pasta dinner and salad in, warm and dry. Did a load of laundry finally and now my bathroom is full of laundry hanging, they have a washer but no dryer, hopefully, they'll be dry in the next day or so.

Will be signing off soon, the fit bit reads: 17,834 which is 7.68 miles

A domani!

p.s. the site keeps crashing so the photos keep getting lost, will add more tomorrow



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A bunch of coins found here,A bunch of coins found here,
A bunch of coins found here,

It was mentioned that this pile of coins probably were virtually worthless and were probably owned by a slave or servant. They were buried when a fire swept through.
The equestrian statue of ->The equestrian statue of ->
The equestrian statue of ->

Victor Emmanuel on his monument, it's one of the worlds largest equestrian statues one of the guide books said.
In context on the monumentIn context on the monument
In context on the monument

This is also where their tomb of the unknown soldier is, it is across from Trajan's forum, in back of it is "THE" forum and then the Colosseum.
Inside at the start of the tour.Inside at the start of the tour.
Inside at the start of the tour.

This is actually the foundation Trajan built for the public baths he built on top of Nero's Palace after Nero's death. The Senate commanded Nero's memory be blotted out and so his palace was destroyed by being filled in literally and the baths built on top of it. This happened 35 years after Nero's death. The colosseum was built on top of the artificial lake Nero had his palace overlooking, it was started the yearr after his death.


18th October 2015

It's good to see you, Wendy! And this picture of you is adorable :)
19th October 2015

Thank goodness the umbrellas are safe! Glad you got to experience a dig and Nero's palace. I'm glad you two are getting to enjoy this together. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. Rome is awesome, but it will be more awesome
in the sun. Really glad you got to worship our Lord with our foreign brothers and sisters. God is good! Love you. Say hi to Karen. XXOO
19th October 2015

Hey Wendy! Good to see and hear that you gals are having a great time! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
19th October 2015

Thanks Denise and Barb! ;-)
27th October 2015

Awww, I love this picture of you two! Looks like you are having lots of fun!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb