Venice to Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 24th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Venice to Rome Via Bologna


Town in the hillsTown in the hillsTown in the hills

One of the many we saw on the way to Rome

Day 7 - Venice to Rome




Big bus day today. Journey was about 6hours in total but the scenery was good. We travelled via Bologna across the Apennines and saw several Walled Towns, ruins, and Tuscan vineyards and olive groves. I sat in the front of the bus for the first time. Great views from there. Should have done that ages ago.

We arrived late in the afternoon raring for a swim, but the hotel pool was empty :-( Even though the weather was still really warm, it's not officially summer any more so the pool has just been emptied out. There was a bar next to it though, so we had a drink or two there instead.

Later on we bussed into town for dinner at a local Trattoria. We were serenaded during dinner and another bottle of wine made it a fun meal.

We then went on a 'passegiata' (evening stroll) of Rome with a local guide. Rome is beautiful at night and the photo's don't do it justice at all.

We started along the Via Condotti and headed to the Church of Trinità dei Monti (built in 1519) and the Spanish Steps. These steps (called Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti) were built in 1721-25 and link the church to the Piazza di Spagna.

Next we made our way to the Trevi Fountain. We were lucky enough to meet a couple of Roman Gladiators who for only 1€ let us have our photo taken with them!

The Trevi Fountain is massive! It features Neptune guiding a chariot drawn by sea horses. Check out the attached video on this blog to see more.
It is meant to be good luck to throw a coin with your right hand over your left shoulder into the fountain. Apparently it ensures a return trip to Rome!

We also visited the Temple of the deified Hadrian. The remains of this have been built into a more modern building.

We also went to the Pantheon and finished up at the Piazza Navona. There were 3 amazing fountains there, including the Fontana di Nettuno (Neptune fountain).

Piazza Navona had a real market atmosphere and there were a large number of musicians and stalls selling souvenirs and paintings. There were also a number of handbag salesmen, but we think they were pretty dodgy as they all ran off at one point when the police made an appearance.

It was getting late so we all headed to the bus to go back to the hotel. The bus driver was good enough to stop outside the Vatican so we could see it at night. Very spectacular!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sights of Rome Sights of Rome
Sights of Rome

One of the churches in Rome
Castel Sant' AngeloCastel Sant' Angelo
Castel Sant' Angelo

In the Vatican City. The Sant' Angelo bridge over the Tiber River which was built over 2000 years ago is in the foreground
GAGS all wired!GAGS all wired!
GAGS all wired!

Amy, Georgia, Giovanni, and me with our ear pieces - ready for our night tour of Rome
The Spanish Steps in the Piazza di SpagnaThe Spanish Steps in the Piazza di Spagna
The Spanish Steps in the Piazza di Spagna

Scalinata della Trinità dei Monti - leads from the church Trinità dei Monti to the Piazza di Spagna
Marco Aurelio ColumnMarco Aurelio Column
Marco Aurelio Column

In the Piazza Colonna
The Temple of the Deified HadrianThe Temple of the Deified Hadrian
The Temple of the Deified Hadrian

Hadrianeum - The remains are incorporated into a more modern (19th Century) building
The PantheonThe Pantheon
The Pantheon

In the Piazza Rotunda
Fontana di NettunoFontana di Nettuno
Fontana di Nettuno

(Neptune fountain) in Piazza Navona


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb