Where in the World Are We?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 24th 2006
Published: October 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Apologies to our blog fans for our lack of blogging the past month and a half. Once we got to Europe we pretty much abandoned blogging...whoops! We had every intention of keeping you up to date, but unfortunately when you are on the go every few days, you end up spending the few extra Euros on one more sight rather than internet!

Just over a month and a half in Europe and we have seen so much. You may want to get your world map out for this...

Flew into Helsinki, Finland for one day. Then to Sweden for one week to stay with family friends of Heidi's family (thanks, Pettersons!). Back to Helsinki for one day--we spent the night in the airport since we had an early flight the next morning 😊

Spent four days in Barcelona, Spain, then flew to Athens, Greece. One day of exploring the Acropolis, etc, then ferried to a couple islands (Paros and Santorini) for 10 days of beaches. Trained north to Thesseloniki, Greece for a night.
Onto Macedonia, just north of Greece. Two of Heidi's friends, Laura and Kelley, are in the Peace Corps here, so we had a week to catch up and get a real glimpse into an ex-communist country (L and K, how are you???) Great time, and lots of meat and cheese 😊

We took a bus through Serbia, then a train to Budapest, Hungary. A couple of days here, and one night we had dinner with a local girl we met. Great city. Another train through Slovakia to Prague, Czech Republic. One of our favorite cities. Again, just a few days, but we explored so much. Few hours on a bus south to Czesky Krumlov, a small, quaint town in southern Czech Republic near the Austrian border. Only had one night here, but it was a wonderful place.

We had a few nights in Salzburg, Austria, saw a few 'Sound of Music' sights (though we didn't splash out for the tour). Based on a recommendation from some other travellers, we ended up in a tiny alpine village in the mountains, Zell am See, did some hiking and relaxing. We were there for four days, a good break to regroup!

From Austria we trained to Venice, Italy. Two days wandering around the floating city, then 3 trains to get us to Cinque Terre on the northern west coast of Italy for two days. Five quaint little towns sit on the cliffs with spectacular views and picturesque settings. One day in Florence, then onto Tuscany. We were meeting our friend, Gio (who is Italian), and we spent one night in Cecina with his sister's family (they live in the middle of a huge vineyard/olive grove farm), as well as driving to San Giminiano, a medievil town on a hilltop. Then to Nomadelphia, Gio's hometown a bit down the west coast near Grossetto. We went sightseeing a couple days, visiting some small hilltop towns nestled in the beautiful scenery of Tuscany. We enjoyed wonderful food and wine, made in the Nomadelphia winery. Great time and fun to stay with friends again.

And today, we arrived in Rome. We visited St. Peter's Basilica which is as magnificent as one would imagine.

And our plans from here...

We have 3 days in Rome, one in Naples, and then we fly to Paris in the 19th. We have 3 nights there, then fly to London to spend a week. On 8th Nov. we fly to Dublin to stay with a friend for a couple of days, then finalon the 10th... to the U.S. of A. Hard to believe its been over one year since we were there!

We will spend a few days with a friend outside of Boston, then head to NYC for 5 days, and then to Chicago for a few dasy. We fly into Omaha on the 22nd, just in time for Thanksgiving! (Dan's first one in the U.S.) We are planning to head to Lincoln for the Husker game on Friday if anyone is going to be around...

We are roadtripping to L.A. one week in December to see Heidi's brother and sister perform with the Young Americans, then just going to be around Minden for the holidays (with some side-trips to visit friends!)

So, if anyone would like to get together in any of these cities or once we get back to the states, please email!! Love to see you.

And hopefully once we get to Nebraska we will get some photos downloaded to share with you all.

Advertisement



24th October 2006

It's about time!
So good to hear from you guys. I was beginning to wonder and worry about you! Thanks for the update. You have been busy little travelers. Can't wait to see you in Nov/Dec. We will be watching the Colorado game at our house, so would LOVE for you to stop by. Then maybe in Dec. we can get together again. Best of luck the last month of traveling! Miss you! Love, Katie
24th October 2006

misses your blogs
Susan, Drew, Phyllis and I were all in Lincoln for the KU, NU game. We all talked about the fact that we hadn't received a blog in ages. So glad you are Ok. I've loved reading about your trip. Sally
25th October 2006

As always, I love reading about your adventures. Glad to know you are safe and well. Loved having you two visit. Thanks for sharing some meat and cheese with us here in MK. Enjoy your last few weeks. Hope we meet again!
25th October 2006

looking forward to hugs
We'll be around during that week of Thanksgiving... looking forward to (finally) meeting Dan and sharing more stories! Keep havin' fun and travel safely!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb