Churches and Basilicas


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 7th 2017
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

Rome is chock full of churches and basilicas and there are two things that make this great regardless of your religious persuasions. 1. They are free to enter and open most days except between about 12:30-3pm. 2. They have incredible works of art by both famous and not so well known artists from over the centuries complete with information in English about the chapels and the art.

Much of the art was commissioned by wealthy families for their private alters and tombs. Here is a list some of the churches and what you can see and it is by no means complete. Each of these also have incredible ceilings, floors and altars all worth spending a bit of time to explore.

St. Peters Basilica – Bernini sculptures, Bernini and Michelangelo architectural designs, frescos and paintings by Caravaggio, da Vinci, Raphael and Michelangelo including the amazing Sistine Chapel which you can visit as part of a tour of the Vatican Museums.

Sant'Andrea delle Fratti – Bernini's angels which were originally commissioned by Clement IX for the Ponte Sant'Angelo, the bridge across the Tiber, which when constructed was the only access to the Vatican for visitor to Rome coming from the North. Clement decided they were too lovely to be outdoors so Bernini kept them in is studio where they remained until the early 18th century when they were moved to this church.

Santa Maria della Vittoria – Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Theresa of Avila and the Cornaro Chapel.

Church of Santa Maria del Popolo – Chigi Chapel by Bernini and inside in the Contarelli Chapel are three Caravaggio's - "Saint Matthew" cycle: "The Calling of Saint Matthew," "Inspiration of Saint Matthew," and "The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew."

Church of San Lorenzo in Lucina – Portrait of Gabriele Fonseca – actually a sculpture.

Church of San Francisco a Ripa – Monument of the Blessed Ludavica Albertoni

Church of San Luigi dei Francesi - In the Contarelli Chapel you can see three Caravaggio's - "Saint Matthew" cycle: "The Calling of Saint Matthew," "Inspiration of Saint Matthew," and "The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew."

San Pietro in Vincoli – Michelangelo's Moses

As I said this list is not complete by any means. You will walk by churches and basilicas everywhere you go in Rome and if the door is open you should stop in because you will be awed by what you find. They are often very dimly lit but
if you want a better look at any of the altars there is often a kind attendant who, for a few euros, will turn the lights on for you to have a better look and take pictures. A few of those I have listed are not in areas of the normal tourist track but well worth going a bit out of the way to visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb