Out and About in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 22nd 2014
Published: May 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From our apartment to the metro at the end of Via Lanicana to the Manzoni Metro.

We criss-crossed Rome by Metro looking for our destinations.

Additional maps: From our apartment to the metro at the end of Via Lanicana to the Manzoni Metro.

Over the past couple of days we've put on our walking shoes and hit the sights. We have mastered the Metro and have wandered around, getting lost and also discovering little streets and shops off the main drag. A French couple who were also lost helped us to find the Spanish Steps and after I bought a big map of Rome we were organised. Off to the Trevi Fountain we went and we were so pleased we weren't in a tour following a leader with a flag on a stick. What a shame to have such limited time in all these places, getting lost occasionally is a small price to pay.

We walked and walked to find the churches John had read about only to find they were closed until 3.00pm. We decided not to waste our time and explored Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore, which is one of the 5 major basilicas of Rome. It was a real delight, founded in the 4th century it has one of the best Byzantine interiors in the city.

While we were waiting for yet another basilica to open at 4.00pm, we sat in a cafe and had a coffee and watched the
Spanish Steps.Spanish Steps.Spanish Steps.

We were so pleased to find it after getting lost.
crazy traffic go by. It was a hit and miss day, the next church we hoped to see didn't open, so we decided to get back on the Metro and go to the Vatican Museum station to see how long it would task to get there for our tour on Wednesday. We got off at the closest station which was supposed to be a 10 minute walk, but it was closer to half an hour. We had to walk all around the Vatican walls and ended up exhausted. After consulting our maps we walked to another Metro station 10 minutes away, buying yet another gelato on the way, our second for the day. These gelatos are addictive and would be the best we've ever tasted. We and came back to our apartment tired, but at least we had worked out the best way to get to the Vatican.

We slept well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



23rd May 2014

Looks amazing
That is fabulous. xx
23rd May 2014

Thanks X
More coming, love you. xxx
24th May 2014
Spanish Steps.

enjoy
Wonderful you are having fun. Speaking Italian yet?
24th May 2014
Spanish Steps.

Ciao from Bella Roma
We are having a great time and seeing so much and doing sooooooo much walking. We've been lucky with the weather, sunny and hot. We're enjoying buying food and trying new things. Today we went to the Colosseum and did a behind the scenes tour which was very interesting. It was a small tour and they took us down, underground where the animals and gladiators were kept. What an amazing place. I've made my first video of our climb to the top of the dome of St Peter's Basilica and enjoying being able to look back on it. Take a look at the mosaics there. Give my love to the Mosaic ladies. Love Liz

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb