Day 35 (to 37) - Cassino to Rome to Dubai to Melbourne to Auckland to Wellington


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 13th 2013
Published: November 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a nice breakfast, we followed the hotel receptionist's directions to the bus. After 25 minutes waiting, it was clear it was not coming our way. Back to the hotel and ordered a taxi (knew we would be paying highly for that but were not leaving Cassino without going up the Monte). It was an 8 km very windy trip and very steep. Knew the Abbey was not open being November low season but wanted to actually be on the Monte. It was spectacular and our minds worked overtime thinking about our soldiers and the battle they fought and also of the senseless destruction of that great place. We particular liked, amongst some of the true rubble from war time, the rock that looked like it had the design of the koro in it. We asked the taxi driver to wait and then went to the station via the hotel, to collect our bags. The regionale train trip back to Rome was slow but pleasant. Had a wonderful Italian woman check us in, change our seats to our advantage. A great finish to a great few weeks. See ya Italy, it's been fantastic! And off we went to Dubai, Melbourne, Auckland, Wellington. My life is changed forever. Roll on lotto - will be a difficult couple of days settling into work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb