Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 10th 2013
Published: July 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 It was sad to see Monterosso go....we had no problems getting the bags up all those stairs or on the train who had a high floor to get in......we did have to wait one hour in la Spezia.When the Rome train arrived ...we did have problems putting the bags in suitable baggage compartments...they were all gone for big bags....we actually had to get this couple to swap seats with us so we could put the bags on the side of the seat, as it was a one person seat....when everyone got off at Verona ...I quickly bagged two baggage spots...trip then was a smooth 3 hours....When we started to come into Rome ...couldn't believe how much graffiti Rome had..in every blank space....actually I am sure there weren't any blank spaces.....I am sure when I first time I came to Rome there was hardly any.. 😞 So we arrived at the station...found a lift to take the bags down.....once out we couldn't find the taxi stand...we came out the back way and hardly any taxis....so we asked these two old men and they told us to keep walking to the front of the station....we did...found a taxi guy ....and he wanted to charge us 45 euro...due to the traffic and cause we had to cross from one side of the city to the other....yeah right I said....I rang the guy that was going to greet us in the apartment and he said no...make sure you get on the white taxi....a lot less...when we got in the taxi...yes we saw the huge taxi line...Traffic was full on but didn't take us that long..I think if we didn't have to wait for pedestrians who were shopping and walking on the middle off the road, then we would have been there quicker....We arrived at the apartment ...we had to wait for Gennaro.....due to the taxi debacle he had to check in another apartment first...while we were waiting ..Carmen decided to go and get groceries while I looked after the bags....there was a guy looking at me from across the street so i looked the other way....then I looked around and he was next to me...he was texting so I didn't pay attention, then out of the blue he starts talking to me in Italian ...I say sorry don't know Italian....he said ok...then walks away....and turns around and says coffee ? Lol ...I say no sorry....Gennaro arrives, I call Carmen , Gennaro is in a hurry and wants to leave quickly...Carmen is in the line ready to pay but I say forget that hurry up....Carmen has to put everything back...in record time...We go in...shows us the apartment....gets contract ready....and I say Carmen sorry no parties....carmen says and i was going to invite you.(to Gennaro)..he says...hey if you have a party have it in the afternoon and invite me....lol..We get ready for dinner...as we are about to meet some great people from OZ...Meeting place is Piazza Novonna....we walked there no problem ....and I remember why I love this city so much....the history of the city is amazing...every building is grand and full of untold stories....and in between relics of the Romans...When we arrived I knew that the piazza was the one where all artists gathered to sell their paintings and then there are the restaurants that surround them....there was Grant, Mark and Magda waiting patiently for us by the fountain...much to Grants surprise we were early......it's kind of weird meeting people from home, overseas ....doesn't feel natural...but it is still great to see them...This guy sweet talks us to try his restaurant....food was ok....reasonably priced but the beer was 9 euro each glass...now we know how he makes his money...After dinner we are off to show Carmen the Trevi fountain....after getting our bearings we arrive...as usual it's full of people all trying to get a spot for photos & to throw their coin in the fountain, so they can come back to Rome. We.walk back through the streets as we are escorted to our crossing bridge....once there Carmen and I before turning in, admired the Vatican and Castillo angel in the night....

Day 2

We decided on the hop on and off bus....we visited places like, circo massimo, trastevere, colosseo....etc..Carmen decided she wanted to see the Trevi fountain in the day time....and wanted to throw the coin in the fountain so she could come back....off we went except we went the wrong way....then we had to go back again.....we did find it in the end lol and when I took Carmens picture throwing the coin....a couple of tourists blocked the photo....see if you can find Carmen We then went through to pizza Venezia ...we went to the memorial of the unknown soldier and the war museum....we then climbed the memorial to the roof....and saw the best view of Rome city....we also saw the black clouds coming..yep storm was on its way....once we climbed down...It poured down...didn't mind getting wet it was so freaking hot .....fifteen minutes later more rain poured down this time with thunder....so what to do in the mean time...chips and beer were in order...and we sat and watched this amazing city.and entertained our selves with a sea gull who posed for photos and thought it owned the joint.....Carmen says is the unknown soldier...Off through pizza Navonna....met Pinocchio ....took a few pics with him. Then we found this little restaurant ..we sat outside and entertained ourselves with all the groups of tourists walking by and the waiter from the opposite restaurant. he tried so hard how to get his customers....he crawled his way into the customers 😊

Day 3

I woke up feeling like crap....was up nearly all night visiting the bathroom ...don't know if it was the food, virus or Pinocchio's germs...We get up to go to Sunday mass at the Vatican .....off we go and we arrive at 11:30 and everyone is waiting for the pope...oh we'll mass maybe next time...we wait for the pope too..St peters square is packed with tourists, locals and of course.nuns, ....priests and followers...and it's over 30 degrees...Sweat is running down in places we didn't know we had....The pope comes out in this little window in the third floor, he gives his prayers & speech in italian...he then welcomes groups which come to see him and wishes the Italian youths good luck and a good flight to Brasil...for the youth conference...all over in 15 minutes...We start heading home...but decide to wait for the masses to go first....we might as well book the tickets for the Vatican, museums and sisteen chapel....Back home I have a shower and I tell Carmen to call Grant and meet up with them...cause all I want to do is sleep....next time I woke up ...there were storms and lighting....went back to bed...Carmen stayed home relaxing and net surfing...

Day 4

Not

feeling 100% but I already had wasted a day....Off we went to the colosseum ....we were asked if we wanted a tour of the colosseum in Spanish ...for some reason we always get Spanish in Rome...although I do sometimes get Brasilian....30 euro...yes you get a guide and quick entry...we said no...we did wait 20 minutes...ticket was 12euro and we got a guide as there were no more headsets ....5:50euro....we could have got a video guide but opted for the human guide....17:50 total....It's interesting to note that the colosseum has been recycled a few times, steel has been taken from it and use elsewhere, example basilicas...and it's still standing....although it does says if high winds happen to run to open areas, do not stay on the arena...it also had 80 sailors who used to manage the sails of the roof...so depending on the weather the sails would be moved...the ticket system of the arena fights was pretty much as it is now top cheap tickets...bottom seats closer to the action more expensive....VIP of course had their corporate boxes....fights were animal first, criminals to be eaten by animals second..then gladiators...gladiators were mostly men but they did have women....these fights happened throughout the day...It was again a hot day....so off we went to have food and drinks...we picked this restaurant near the coliseum...it looked pretty with the trees. We should have left when the waiter brought the tuna salad and all it was tomatoes and lettuce....the waiters weren't interested in serving but when this girl with big breasts turned up they all became alive once again...and the girl kept getting stuff she didn't ask for...maybe I should have got mine out..to get better service lol....We met grant, mark and Magda ...and did a tour of underground ancient ruins tour of Rome...First problem I get told no shorts and singlets as we would be visiting basilicas and catacombs....well as its over 30 degrees what do I wear...the church should get on with times.....I have something for the singlet....but nothing for the shorts...so I use Carmens cardigan to make a skirt...all fixed...in the end it was just singlets not allowed...First stop, chiesa basilica di San clement at laterano....when you go inside you think there is only one church...but then you go underneath that church and there is another church...then under that one another....a bit of controversy with one item that we saw,....there was an altar...our guide told us it was original.....as we walked away ...the other guide said it was new....our guide was confronted...and he said original ...he was right...of course you are 😊Second church....would you believe it was closed due to the heavy rain ...but we did see some roman artefacts...third stop the catacomb of di's. Agnese. While waiting for the catacombs guide....our guide was telling us about the church ....this is after a funeral had just happened ...so everything was very silent...when his phone rings.....and his loud ring tone song...had something of oh Fuck yeah....lolDown at the catacombs we learned that the holes were made sideways and on top of each other.... as it was cheaper to just make the hole underground as above ground tombs were more expensive, the catacombs were raided for gold and they destroyed most of them and their bones....there was still only two tombs that had skeletons ...to identify the tombs.....if they couldn't write they would draw the symbol of what the persons trade was or they would draw the person that passed away....or if they could write, persons name, wether they were children, parent, year and month they died....Since we didn't see the other church that was closed..our guide offered to buy us a beer....II say with our own money but hey the gesture was there.He left us and after our drink off we went to the Spanish stairs......no Carmen didn't climb them but she did like the fountain at the bottom...Off we went to have dinner and say goodbye to our Aussie compatriots ...food and company were very nice...Our escorts walked us once again and when walking there we saw our tour guide...he says what are you doing still out, go and rest ....

Day 5

We went to the big pope house....the Vatican...the tour was supposed to start at 11:30 ..well that's what we heard....apparently it was at 1:00. We missed it..so they offered us a self guided tour with headphones..which we took....so we started at the Vatican museum, then when we walked through security...we went to get our headphones..and instead they made us join another group lol...don't think the group was too happy as they had to wait for us to be set up with headsets ...oh well...We walked through the museum to get through to the sisteen chapel....The murals of tapestry, the walls and roofs are amazing...The sisteen chapel is still amazing ...Carmen thought it was a lot bigger..Then off to see St. Peter's .....it's still amazing to see it....even thought its my second time...Carmen really like St. Peter's ..Lunch the off for a rest before sting concert.....the concert was at the Olympic tennis stadium...the stadium was pretty cool expect there was a twenty minute wait for the ladies toilet....I didn't think I knew any songs,.,.but when he started signing them. I remembered them all......it was an awesome concert...we really enjoyed it....Trying to get home was a challenge.....we walked 20 minutes...then we finally caught a taxi....the guy that we got took us home in 1 minute...i think he thought he was in the Grand Prix..... Early morning rise....Gennaro came over to check the apartment...gave us both goodbye kisses (cheek) and wishes us a good trip ....and so we say goodbye to Rome...


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb