Our first day in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 10th 2011
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Rome after a relatively short flight, but it was still a long night! None of us slept more than two hours, and when we got to Rome we waited for our bags for over an hour. When we finally exited customs (after an extremely cursory glance at our passports), we found ourselves in a very dirty, muggy, and noisy airport. I think the sensations of heat and noise hit us harder because we were all so tired.

At any rate, we took a taxi into the city, near Porta Pia. Our apartment key was being held by our uncle Mario, and his train from Calabria was scheduled to arrive in about an hour. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at an outdoor cafe while we waited for him to arrive. Once we got the key, we headed straight for the apartment near Piazza Navona.

By then it was close to two in the afternoon, and we were so tired we just collapsed into the beds and slept for three hours.

When we woke up, our world felt considerably brighter. We showered and then walked over to Piazza Navona. It was perfectly beautiful outside. Still hot, but that enchanting golden light of the late afternoon painted the buildings in hues of gold and orange, and long cool shadows lay on the cobbled streets.

We met Stefania and Madi at Piazza Navona at the Tre Scalini. After greeting one another and taking lots of photos of the girls at the fountain, we went to eat at a little osteria near the apartment. Then we walked with Stefania back to Piazza Navona, where I let the girls wander around for 20 minutes while I walked with Stefania to her. She had parked it along the Tevere, so we enjoyed some quiet conversation together.

I met the girls back in Pizza Navona and we all walked home together and collapsed into bed by 11:00. Actually, I was in bed by 11:00, but the girls chatted a while and finally slept at 11:30.

It was a lovely first day in Rome.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th July 2011

Grazie!
thank you so much for the beautiful update, I love your writing, I feel as if I'm there with you. Please kiss my baby girl for me, love Alba

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb