Sun, Sea ,Sand and Saturnia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 16th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

SwimmimgSwimmimgSwimmimg

In Italy a lot of pools it is customary to wear a hat-here's kim in ths little blue and white number
Days 40 to 45 Sun, Sea ,Sand and Saturnia
Decided we could take some time out and rest awhile at the sea. We chose a campsite at Castiglion della Pescaia on the west coast of Italy about 100k south of Pisa. We chose the site on the basis of the beautiful swimming pool, and we were not disappointed, it was great. There was also a picturesque beach about 200m walk from the camp, which had some free beach. We have found much of the Italian coast is inaccessible as it has been bought either by hotels or camp sites for their sole use, or a sort of lido ‘pay on enter’ system to access sun beds and beach. But we were ok here, spent our time between the beach and pool, really relaxing. Well....ok we did get bored of the site one day and cycled about 8 miles into town! (and back), and another day we drove around the medieval towns of Vetulonia, and Tirli which was interesting, situated on top of hills opposite each other.
By the 4th day our travel bug got the better of us and we decided to have one night further down the coast, at Albinia, a similar site but the beach was less picturesque. However we did find a really interesting place called Orbetello, basically an island reached by a narrow strip of road, where we found a lovely trattoria on the way to Port Ercole. The site was also placed well for our onward travels to Saturnia.
Saturnia is a natural sulphur warmed water spring, basically in the middle of nowhere. I had read about it in the Metro, whilst on my way to work one day, and hoped we would try and find it. Although it was well signposted from 30k away, they decided to keep it a local secret! and we found it more by luck than judgement. Wow! It was great, and free! With a free car park, (amazing). The power of the water was wonderful, and the pools nicely warmed. A great stop on our way to Rome.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb