Roma, Italia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At long last I am putting up the rest of pictures from my trip! I apologize to those who have been waiting. Life got crazy for awhile. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Rome was one of my favorite places on this trip. There was so much to see! I was amazed to see that the ruins of ancient Rome are right in the middle of modern Rome. The city hasn't moved. It has just built up around the ruins. By far my favorite sight in Rome was the Coliseum. It was amazing! St. Peter's Basilica was an eye-opener too. It was much larger than I had thought possible. April turned out to be a great time to be in Rome. It was sunny and warm and not too hot. We were in Rome up until Good Friday and had we stayed we could have seen the Stations of the Cross parade and the pope-mobile but we left by train that day for Naples.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Amphitheatrum Flavium Amphitheatrum Flavium
Amphitheatrum Flavium

The Coliseum's real name. (named after the emperor who built it) It was not called the Coliseum until much later
The Center of the BasilicaThe Center of the Basilica
The Center of the Basilica

For touristy reasons they funnel everyone in a circle around this center section. I believe the chairs are set for upcoming Easter festivities.
The courtyard outsideThe courtyard outside
The courtyard outside

Massive amounts of chairs set up for upcoming Easter.
Castel Sant AngeloCastel Sant Angelo
Castel Sant Angelo

From afar. Sadly we never got any closer to it.
PadlocksPadlocks
Padlocks

This was really cool. At a little chapel near trevi fountain there were hundreds of padlocks locked to the fence. On each was written the name of a bride and groom who had been married in that church and a little message from them.
The Cat SanctuaryThe Cat Sanctuary
The Cat Sanctuary

Right in the middle of the city there is a small collection of ruins that have been turned into a sanctuary for the stray cats of Rome. It's really quite cute. It warmed my heart.


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb