Rome!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 24th 2009
Published: June 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we made it safely to Rome from Dubrovnik after a loooong 24 hours of busses, overnight ferries, and trains. We arrived in Rome at about 2pm and made our way to our campsite. This place is fantastic! It has 2 pools, a beach volley ball court, 3 bars, 2 restaurants, disco, outdoor theatre...its got it all. So the first day we were beat and hung around the pool swimming and tanning...we played beach volley ball for about 2 hours and put on an absolute clinic! It was a lot of fun. I met up with an old friend from Venice at this campsite (Simon from Leeds) and he has hung out with us ever since. We all hung out in the disco that night playing pool and listening to the live dj.... lots of fun. The next morning we got up and headed into Rome. We started at the Vatican city and walked around St.Peters square, then headed inside the Vatican into the Basillica. It was incredibly impressive inside....massive monuments and paintings, huge arches and domes...we were pretty blown away. We then hit the pavement (Richard,Simon and myself) We went to the Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, and a bunch of other sights along the way. We made our way through the Roman ruins and to the Colleseum....and decided to take a tour of the inside. It was awsome inside the Colleseum....just to be in there ground level and to image 50,000 Romans packing the place while 30 gladiators fought eachother and wild animals to the death, quite awsome being in there. So we got to Rome at 11am and got back to our campsite at 8pm.....it was a long day! When we got back we met our new neighbours...2 hilarious guys from Dublin. We drank wine on the path with them and more people joined us as they walked by. We had people from Poland, Czech Republic, England, Usa, Ireland...quite the group we had by the end of it, and it was a blast. At about 11 the whole group headed to the campsite pub and had a great time playing pool, listening to music and hanging out until it closed.

This morning we headed back to the Vatican city and watched the POPE speak! St.Peters square was packed with people cheering and yelling as the Pope came up to give his speach. It was a really cool experience...and now we can say that we saw the Pope speak in St.Peters square! Pretty cool. I just got back to the campsite now and I am about to head to the pool for a dip and some volley ball. We are staying here tonight and then are off to Florence tommorow for a couple of days!

I hope that all is well back home...we are having a fantastic time over here. It has been amazing so far, and there is much more to come.

Take care, love you guys

Kevin

Advertisement



24th June 2009

Domini Domino
Hi Kev; Rome - wow! Sounds like you're having a great time. I hope you're eating your vegetables and getting lots of rest.... kidding. Firenze next - hope you like art. I've never been to Florence, all reports are that it's something pretty special. Nothing's changed here. It's been warm and cloudy generally, raining today for the frist time in a long time. I took Cavallier ( oh wait, "Grandma's Cavallier") into get repaired. Some greaseball tried to jimmy it on the drivers side and punched in the lock on the passenger's side. The passenger's side one happened a while ago, you probably noticed that. I managed to scmooze the ICBC lady into counting it all as one claim so I'll pay $300 to get it fixed.The we'll clean it up and either you can drive it, or we can sell it and you can drive you're old shitbox ..- or sell them both and buy something reasonable. You won't be driving much until you renew your licence, which expired on your birthday! I've been doing some writing for the Tri City News as you know - got a cheque for $225 big ones for my three "Face to FAce" articles. - I'll email you one or two... School is winding down for Mom and Lauren - last day this Friday.Looks as if Lauren may not get back to Heritage. Someone with no Science background posted into her job. She's a bit upset about the whole thing. I'll let her tell you more. We 're there with you Kev. We talk about you daily, and hope you are well and happy - sounds as if you are. Keep in touch , but no pressure - wnenever you can. Love Dad
24th June 2009

Florence
You know this, but see the David!....best time, first thing in the morning, line-up early, or late in the day, to avoid the tourist hordes....the fewer people there, the better....go to the top of the Duomo, and look out over the most beautiful Renaissance city ever...to get away from the tourists, you can take a nice sidetrip to nearby Fiesole, or go across the river (watch out for the rowers) and walk all the way up to that plaza overlooking the city....wonderful at sunset...you cant go wrong, no matter where you walk....just try to ignore the tourists and think of the great sculptor Michaelangelo wandering the same streets....not all that changed in the heart of Florence....i love italy!!!!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb