Roman sights


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 6th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=lIJ_dIvVH7U][youtube=-k6E4MOhd-c][youtube=ScUP1NwKPn4]
ColosseumColosseumColosseum

Inside the Colosseum
This morning we went first off to the Colosseum. It’s changed a little bit since I was last here - they were doing conservation and renovation work last time I was here, and they still are. They have put in a part of the timber floor again, in the same style as it was originally I assume and are working on some of the upper walls etc. - Perhaps they are going to put up the awnings etc as they once were?

Actually, before we went to the Colosseum, we got off at the Circus Maximus stop on the subway. This was were they used to run the Horse and chariot races in a big oval stadium, (watch Ben Hur to see what it looked like in it’s day.) Nowadays though, there’s pretty much no remnant left of the stadium or central structure, and just a big swathe of grass where the track used to be.

Heaps less Gypsies trying to hand you their babies so they can pick your pockets these days (in fact we didn’t see a single one) - cops are everywhere just hanging around. There is HEAPS of bums though, and because of them, a
The Spanish StepsThe Spanish StepsThe Spanish Steps

Not far from where we stayed.
lot of spots smell like a toilet. You just have to hold your breathe and get to some fresh air! 

In the late morning/afternoon, we went to the Spanish steps, and also to the Borghese to book in for the next day to go to the Borghese museum. It’s too long a fiasco to detail here, but between booking the museum, and trying to find a wireless hotspot, we wasted about 5-6 hours of the day trying to work with the Italian ‘system’. Left the bus adventure in Sorrento for dead!

Anyway, after some marital angst, and a couple of hours snooze for me, we went to the Trevi fountain. It’s just as good as I remember it, but a lot more packed! We went just before dark, thinking we’d beat the rush, but it was chocka’s. Threw the coins, and then headed down to the Pantheon closer to the river.

Now that is an amazing building. Just one of those places that you can sit and gaze around at for ages.

After the Pantheon, it was dinner time, so it was off to ‘La Rotunda’ for dinner - Tonnasco (?) pasta and lobster for
ArchArchArch

Triumphal Arch outside the Colosseum
me (grouse!) and the staple for Kerryn - Margherita pizza. Then of course, had to squeeze in a Gelati (Two if you count the fact Kerryn only ate a quarter of hers!)

It was now dark, so we pssed back by the Trevi, finishing the Gelatis on the steps, got some night time snaps, and headed home to ‘pre-pack’ the bags.

Off to Borghese and the Vatican tomorrow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

TreviTrevi
Trevi

The Trevi fountains - check out the crowd!
Throwing the coinThrowing the coin
Throwing the coin

At Trevi fountain - suppose to give you good fortune to return to Rome one day.
PantheonPantheon
Pantheon

The Occulus
PantheonPantheon
Pantheon

Out the front


Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb