Busy day...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 4th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

...one of many I suspect. There’s so much to see in Rome. It’s a sunny day; first stop the Trevi Fountain. It’s magnificent, it’s so clean, the water’s clean and cool, and thankfully it’s not really crowded so we can sit around and look without feeling like we’re in someone’s way or that we should move on.
Next, the Colosseum. After our Uffizi Gallery experience, where we were charged full price for the kids, we found out that kids get in cheaper only if you’re from an EU country. Darren’s Irish accent was a classic; saved us 22euro though.
My adulation of Roman churches will be tainted from now on. I’ve just found out that the reason the Colosseum is in ruins is that the Pope during the renaissance in the 1500’s ordered the ‘recycling’ of the marble façade, leaving only the travertine core behind. It is also covered in holes from where they removed all the metal pins holding the blocks together to make bells and cannons ( why a supposedly peace loving church needs cannons is beyond me).
The Trevi after dark is not quite the same as in daylight, this time it was crowded and we were constantly harassed by hawkers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Another amazing churchAnother amazing church
Another amazing church

before I found out about those pillageing Catholic Popes
Cute little cars..Cute little cars..
Cute little cars..

I don't know how they compete with the fast scooters and cars zooming past
Darcy with a Roman Soldier...Darcy with a Roman Soldier...
Darcy with a Roman Soldier...

didn't realize this photo was going to cost me 5 euro ($8), tricked me once, but I won't let them trick me twice.
The ColosseumThe Colosseum
The Colosseum

the dark part is some marble that wasn't stolen by the Church, it would have originally been white, notice the holes in the walls, that is where the metal pins were stolen from. The holes are all over the building.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb