Glorious Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 20th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rome is one of those places that everyone has to visit at least once in their life. Love it or hate it, it does make an impression. I quite liked it, although it was a bit big and noisy for my liking. Unlike a lot of other cities in Italy, it was also a bit of a historical mess. You have thousand year old structures standing alongside medieval buildings and brand spanking new ones. But the sense of history is amazing, in particular walking around the Roman Forum and Colloseum. I just couldn't get over the fact these buildings have been standing here for over a thousand years, living in a country which has little which is even a hundred years old. The level of development of these people was also pretty amazing. The other tourist sites didn't have as big an impact, the Trevi fountain was gorgeous and bigger than expected, the Spanish Steps were non-existent, and all the remaining piazzas were under renovation, which was a disappointment. The Vatican was pretty amazing. I went on Friday and had the worst tour guide in the world who ruined my whole day and cost me 50 euro. I was so annoyed at the incredibly bad experience that was the Vatican that i vowed to return to make it better. And i did, i came back at like 8am on the Monday morning, before the throngs of tourists, sans tour guide, and i redeemed the Vatican. St Peters is pretty special at that time, when it actually feels like the church it should. I visited the tombs beneath, including the tomb of John Paul II which was very moving. The Vatican museums are huge, took hours and contain more stuff from more civilizations and eras than I could possibly imagine. If you only visit 2 museums while in Italy, do the Vatican museum and the Uffizi gallery. Having redeemed the Vatican & experienced a weekend in Rome, I went home...


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

inside St Peters at sun downinside St Peters at sun down
inside St Peters at sun down

this has to be my favourite photo of the trip
the infamous Spanish Stepsthe infamous Spanish Steps
the infamous Spanish Steps

where oh where are the actual steps??? this was so disappointing it was actually hilarious...


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb