lots of cool old stuff


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 16th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's the end of our third full day. Day one in a bit more detail: Galleria Borghese. The Bernini was the highlights. Just wow. Pantheon, also wow. Walked all around campo de Fiori, down to the Jewish Getto, and up around Piazza Navona.

Day Two. Colloseum. There's a lot of people offering tours in order to skip the lines, but we rejected them, since we had the Roma Pass. That already jumps us in line. Yay! Then I got the video interactive guide, which called out to the geek in me: GPS, interactive stuff, and scenes from old gladiator moves as reference! The Palantine was interesting, but since we didn't go with a guide, it was hard to figure out all the rubble. Augusts' house was cool, there's still a bit of it left. We met this old guy traveling by himself and hug out with him the rest of the day. He was here for some WW 2 thing. It was nice hanging out with a stranger and befriending them for the day.

We did the Dolce Vita tour (not to be confused with the movie,) which started at Piazza del Popolo and down to the Spanish Steps. Really, it was walking by a bunch of snooty shops that you see in magazines. I wasn't impressed by the Spanish Steps either. Then we did the Rick Steves evening tour in reverse, since we were already and the Spanish steps and headed towards campo de fiori. You do S.S, then Trevi fountain, Piazza Colonna, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, then down to Campo di Fiori, where we had a yummy dinner.

Day Three. Went to the Vatican Museum. Another wow. I think Italy is making me love sculpture in a way I never had before. I loved the Egyptian room, the Roman statues, the Raphael rooms, and of course, the grand daddy of them all, the Sistine Chapel. I heard all these stories about long lines, but we got there around 11am and had no trouble at all. I think we avoided the crazy tourists that get there at 7am. We'll go back to see the dome, and it looks like we'll have time later to do so.

Bye for now, no time for grammar and spell check!

ADJ

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb