Italy, Italians, Ice cream & Pizza


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 24th 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ColosseumThe ColosseumThe Colosseum

Lots of construction surrounding the Colosseum
Rome. We seriously wanted more time here, but we're running a tight schedule. Still, we managed to fit in a lot of sightseeing. We toured the Colosseum (after dodging the 'unofficial' tour guides). Amazing stuff! As our guide said, watching Gladiator really gives you a feel for the place. We also looked through the Museo del Risorgmento (half art, half museum) and stood in awe of the giant monument to Vittorio Emanuelle II. We had a long walk around Palantine Hill , where the old rich families lived. I think the main house was built into the hill or something, we were walking around the roofline, looking down into the courtyard. The Villa Borghese is a massive park area north of everything else - hours of walking. So I think we spent the 1 1/2 days productively. It does get slightly old seeing statues or fountains on every street corner though.

Just a note about traffic. Scooters are everywhere, and you have to be brave to cross the road. In fact, all over Europe zebra crossings mean 'keep going unless you will defenitely hit someone. Then *maybe* stop- and hit your horn'.
So far as food goes, pizza and gelati
Closer to the ColosseumCloser to the ColosseumCloser to the Colosseum

Remarkable condition for its age
have been our staple diet. Italian cuisine at its best.

P.S We saw a Ferrari store where Andrea was keen to buy stuff for her Dad. Her quote of the day? "What, there are only cars here!"
You see what I have to deal with?

After Rome we hit Pisa. Second big mistake of the trip. The two things I've heard this place are famous for: the Tower, and the Main Square. Well, the Main Square was under construction, and the Tower is only famous because the builder was dodgy! Seriously, the tower is much shorter than I envisioned, and any other ruins around Pisa looked like they were built in the 60' and left to rot. Needless to say, disappointed.

I'm hoping that Venice will save Italy's reputation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Inside the ColosseumInside the Colosseum
Inside the Colosseum

Not as colossal as I thought it'd be, but it'll do
Palatine HillPalatine Hill
Palatine Hill

The courtyard leading to one of the houses buried in Palantine Hill
Victor Emmanuelle IIVictor Emmanuelle II
Victor Emmanuelle II

Some guy on a horse. Don't ask me how he got up there though.
Museo del RisorgimentoMuseo del Risorgimento
Museo del Risorgimento

I had to check the spelling on that 3 times!
FerrariFerrari
Ferrari

The Colosseum, the various statues and fountains...they were all just practice to produce these REAL works of art!


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb