Experiencing Rome in one morning


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 26th 2007
Published: December 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from my hotel room windowView from my hotel room windowView from my hotel room window

(A street market is opening 20 meters away)
On the last day of our trip, we spent the morning exploring Rome. After grabbing some pastries from a bakery near our hotel, we made our way to Termini Station to buy day tickets for Rome's public transport. Due to time constraint, we decided to focus our time on the Colosseum, Trevis Fountain and Spanish Steps. Coming out from the Colosseum Metro Station, we were awed by the massive scale and age of the famous Colosseum. We walked one round around the mightly landmark, and then we made our way to the Trevi Fountain. On the way, we took photos of the Roman Forum and made a short stop at the Vittorio Emanuelle Monument (which opened its gates at the very moment we arrived).

After throwing a coin into Trevi Fountain (legend has it that if you throw a coin into the fountain fate will make you come back to Rome again in the future), we made our way to the Spanish Steps. The steps were surprisingly quite empty when we arrived, and we took advantage of the lack of crowds by taking a lot of pretty photos. (We felt the whole Spanish Steps belonged to us... Haha.) Unfortunately, the obelisk at the top of the steps was under restoration and was covered up. What a pity.

Then we went to Hard Rock Cafe. Elsa was very happy, because she managed to go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome and splashed her money onto Hard Rock Cafe souvenirs. (She's a Hard Rock Cafe fan.) After Elsa's retail therapy, we took a cute little bus to Campo de Fiori, a medieval square which was one of Rome's liveliest places for centuries. On the bus, we met a very nice old lady who chatted with us. She spoke pretty good English, because she worked in London for a couple of years when she was younger. As the small bus navigated the narrow streets of Rome, we talked about life in London and in Rome, and she gave us some recommendations for travelling around Rome. Unfortunately we were flying back to UK in the afternoon, so we could only follow her recommendations when we visit Rome again in the future.

We had our lunch in a cafe at Campo de Fiori. After lunch, we took a bus back to our hotel, grabbed our luggage, and then went for an intensive grocery shopping session in a supermarket in Termini station. As it was getting late, we decided to spend more money to take a direct coach from Termini to Ciampino Airport. At the airport, I spent my last Euros on boxes of Italian chocolates, before going through the passport control and boarding the plane back to Stansted.

So that's the end of my 3-day weekend trip. I found it a bit too short, as there are still so many other sights that I didn't manage to see during this trip. (For example, we didn't go the Vatican at all...) Anyway, I threw a coin into Trevi Fountain, so I hope heaven will let me go back to Rome again in the near future for a longer and more thorough visit....


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb