DAY 76 ROME


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 10th 2023
Published: August 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Breakfast with Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore behind us.
We didn’t rush to rise. When we did it was a short walk to a breakfast venue we had decided on the previous evening. From our seats we could see calendars for sale. We’ve seen the firemen calendars, naked women calendars, animal calendars, numerous calendars, and today Catholic priest calendars. Back to “Just Chillin’ to try and contact Vueling with no success by any medium.

It was only after I knew the result of the Eagles game at 11.15 that we left our accommodation, silly really, as it was heating up fast. We made our way to the Colosseum, where 1000’s of other human beings were too. It is impressive. For readers of this post who have visited the structure, I’m sure you would agree.

The Colosseum is an elliptical amphitheatre and the largest one standing in the world, despite its age. Construction began in 72AD and was completed in 80AD. It’s built of limestone, volcanic rock and concrete and could hold 50-80 000 people. Over the course of its ‘life’ it was used for gladiatorial contests, public spectacles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, dramas, mock sea battles, housing, workshops, quarters for religious orders, a fortress, a

Catholic priest calendar.
quarry, a Christian shrine and now as a tourist attraction. It is a renowned symbol of Imperial Rome and is listed as one of the 7 Wonders of the World.

We visited a small section of the Roman Forum before we caved in and returned to our air-conditioned room at 2.15pm.

We do not venture far from the nest with regard to food if we find it to our liking. Same venue, same choices as the previous evening. Same satisfaction.

From there was to Basilica Papale Di Santa Maria Maggiore the most important sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary in the Western World. It is the oldest of Rome’s Marian churches and one of the 4 Papal Basilcas. (See photo re: Origins for more information). The artwork of mosaics, paintings and sculptures truly illustrate the skill and craftmanship of the commissioned artists. A mass with full choir, supported a soprano soloist, was being held in the front half of the church. The singing was glorious with clear soaring voices. We sat and listened and enjoyed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



First close-up of the Colosseum.





Inner and Outer walls






Another view.


Arco di Costantino.


Top of the Costantino Arch.


Section of the Roman Forum.




Pathway has seen much history ... slippery!


Section of Colosseum and Forum.


Long distance shot from the rear of Victor Emmanuel monument.


Dinner ... lasagne, chickory, 3 flavours of spaghetti.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb