Saturday in Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 7th 2019
Published: September 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Saturday & everything as usual like the rest of the week.
Workers here tending the tourist industry heading off to work. We really enjoy staying a little out of the main hub. Our apartment is super nice & set up with everything we need. Very quiet until we open the windows & we get a blast of Italy into our dining room. It is quite entertaining...lots of family stuff.
The bells ring at 8am & then the noise begins.
We are still completely out of kilter...up at 5 this morning breakfasted & out by 8 into Roma Centrale on the new Metro C line to San Giovanni & changeover to A line onto the Repubblica stop. The city was still reasonably quiet for Roma, another 2 hours & it was a different story.
The stroll down Via Nazionale to Caesars Forum took us into an Anglican church that was 'hello' open. Needed to climb the steep path up to the entrance first. Just magnificant inside.
The area around Caesars Forum was fairly empty of people. The temp starting to warm up now.
I can't get over the grandness of how it all was. On the new Metro (C line) heading in we noticed the displays of ceramics that had been excavated in the creation of the new line... that has taken some 29 years due to many things such as red tape & archaeology discoveries. Some enormous Column heads found 30m down (of course that is how far down we were too!) & some 1st Centurary ceramics.
They have cleverly depicted the history on the walls of the esculators as you travel down...14m 17m 20m 25m 30m depicts the different eras at the level of the underground in which they were discovered. And so there was a city of some grandness down here...wow. A Domus has been discovered, a residence of a military commander connected to a dormitory of a 2,000 year old military barracks.
We didn't last too long out today still feeling a bit pooped. They are still excavating along the Appian Way & not alot appears different to 2years ago when we were here. Behind the scenes i'm sure it is a different story.
A drink in the shade of the Cyprus trees & the crowds arrived.
We did the same route home & via simply store.
We were soooo pooped we slept the afternoon for 7 hours!
BTW did i say the tomatoes are real yum!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



8th September 2019

Saturday In Roma
Wow...So much packed in AND a 7 hr siesta....Looking forward to your next blog...Rome is amazing. xx

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb