Italy 2018 - Our First Day in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 25th 2018
Published: July 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

After an overnight flight from the United States, starting in Charlotte, NC, changing planes in Atlanta, we arrived in Rome for the start of our Roman adventure. Moving through customs and collecting our luggage, went to find our transportation to the hotel. As we waited we met several others in our tour group. After traveling to our hotel, we checked, stored our luggage to await our room, and set out to explore Rome.

Our goal was to find the Colosseum which did not appear to be very far from the hotel. Heading in that direction we first came upon Santa Maria Maggiore where mass has been said daily since the fifth century. After exploring the church we asked directions to the Colosseum and started in that direction. After walking for a considerable time we realized that we had missed a turn and were traveling the wrong way. The day was extremely hot and soon I was looking for shade and a place to sit. We rested for a while by a little restaurant before moving on to find the Colosseum. Finally on the right road the ancient building came into view. Knowing that we would have the opportunity to go inside tomorrow we were content to see the outside and take some photos. Succumbing to the heat, we took a taxi back to the hotel. Since we had some time yet before our official welcome dinner, I rested, while Fred went in search of several geocaches in the area.

Dinner was the first time the entire group was together. There were about forty folks with the tour from all walks of life and all ages. Dinner was held at the La Gallina Bianca, The White Chicken. After a typical Italian dinner we walked back to the hotel to get ready for a full day in Rome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement












Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb