Wednesday 19th


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 19th 2018
Published: September 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Peggy stayed in bed most of the day, getting up to meet John for a drink at the end of the day high atop the Grand Hotel Minerva. So John was on his own during the day, exploring some of the interesting structures he has missed when visiting Rome at other times. He started with a search for the Tarpeian Rock from which criminals and traitors were thrown in the days of the Roman Empire. It is on the south side of the Capitoline Hill but John discovered you can’t get to the top of it as there are fences everywhere. He was not planning on jumping but did want to know what happens to traitors in Italy as it may be helpful to the United States. After the unsuccessful search John proceeded to the Victor Emmanuel monument (known as the “wedding cake”) and was the first out on the top overlooking most of Rome. Took lots of pictures and then wandered around enjoying the view and the air (it was extremely humid and well into the mid 80s). He reported back to Peggy with pictures and some video clips before going out again to simply wander the streets toward Piazza del Popolo. Late lunch at what turned out to be a nice little restaurant, Babette. The pasta with gorgonzola sauce was good but the pistachio tort was much too rich. Great little place hidden on Via Margutta (same street that Gregory Peck lived on in “Roman Holiday”). Back to spend time with Peggy and then off to buy a rosary for a friend (got it blessed at Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, the wonderful church built over the Temple of Minerva). Peggy (looking very fine) and John met up for a drink at the Grand Minerva rooftop bar and then had a bite to eat before settling in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb