First Day in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 15th 2018
Published: September 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

OK, economy is not the greatest fun! Neither of us really slept at all … but the flights were easy (we went through Newark) and on time. Of course there was one hitch: we went to the wrong gate in Newark and had to take a bus back to the right gate. The last call announcement was underway as we arrived at our correct gate.

After getting our luggage and meeting our driver we made it into Rome and hour hotel at around 10:00 AM. Our driver (Florin) was nice and took us on a little tour as we entered the city. Of course our room was not available until around noon so we went for a walk to Trevi Fountain (jammed with people) and the Piazza de Spagna and the steps. On the way we stopped for coffee and the jewelry shop where Peggy got her earings last visit (we were replacing one of them). Lots of tourists everywhere.

After checking into our room we took a brief rest and then went to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona and a little restaurant in front of the Raphael Hotel (airy and relaxing although the food was only moderate). We walked some more and ended up at the bar on the roof of the Grand Hotel Minerva with a view of the city in all directions. Very special and a nice memory. Early to bed (8:30 PM) and a full nights sleep, although there were conversations happening most the night below our window. The Colonna Palace is on the piazza in front of the parliament building so it is highly protected all the time by police and carabinieri (state police). Under our window is the location of the scrum of armed guards day and night … and they have nothing to do but chat with each other.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb